Chapter 9 - Knowledge and Pranks

It had been a few days since the first years had arrived at Hogwarts. The 4 girls had settled in to their new home, and so had the boys. James, Sirius, Remus and Peter had occupied one dorm for themselves too. It was now common knowledge that a first year girl had impressed Peeves so much that he had accepted her like his own child. In the first week alone, the boys and Eve pranked Mrs. Norris with the help of Peeves.

In Eve's defense, Mrs. Norris was annoying and deserved to be changed from a grey to a ginger cat, and given the stench of a Dungbomb. And that's what they did.

The kids were so fascinated by the results that their teamwork gave off. They decided that they would become a gang (James had protested, "It's not a gang, it's a group of people!" "So, a gang?" "No!") and hang out with each other, 'cause obviously, they were awesome.

Magic and school, on the other hand, turned out to be worse than they'd expected. Although Eve managed it quite easily, it was still a little more difficult than she had expected. Turns out, magic wasn't just waving the wand and saying a few words. You'd have to perfect wand movements, and Sirius had set out a fire in the classroom at least 5 times. Eva found it quite easy compared to her Muggle schoolwork, because a foot of parchment was actually small, compared to the 3 A4 size sheet essay that Mrs. Smith had given her for detention in 3rd grade.

Of course the gang had gotten into detention by their first week. It was expceted with Peeves parterning up with them and all. Minnie was furious. She was more furious when Eva proceeded to call her 'Minnie' in front of the whole gang during detention, for which she recieved extra detention, a full lecture on 'how to treat your teachers' and cost the house 5 more points.

Even though Minnie did not like her new nickname, she did like Eva. She saw herself in the girl. Bold, daring and a bit of rule breaker, just as she'd been when she was in Hogwarts. Professor Slughorn saw pure and raw talent in the girl's potion making skills (and Lily's), and Flitwick was more than thrilled when Eva was the only person who could lift the feather off her table within 10 tries. She was a great flyer. Madam Hooch personally guaranteed that she'd make it to the team in her second year. Professor Sprout thought the girl wasn't the best, but at least quite good at Herbology. So, needless to say, Eva Holmes not only scored many points for her house, she very successfully neutralized them too by losing points. Eva found herself uninterested in History of Magic though. The excuse of a professor Binns, who was a ghost, took lectures that were long and boring, and Eva always found herself woken up by a chuckling Remus who lended her his notes.

Even though Eve didn't know much about her friends, she already loved them. Lily did not support Eve's pranks, but kept quiet about them. She was always up to study with Eve and Remus, who found the library more interesting than any other place in the school (it had the best books for ideas for their upcoming pranks). Marlene herself volunteered for pranks sometimes, being the distractor along with Peter. Alice was always out to cheer everyone up when pranks failed or when they lost too many points. She was also the hairstylist of the group, and was the only person who could keep James' untidy hair under control.

Remus, was however what concerened Eve the most. He got sick for weeks every month and left at least for one whole night. He always told them that his mum was sick and that he'd have to go meet her, but Eve detected a lie in his eyes but decided not to push on and lose his friendship. She continued to write letters to Sherlock, who replied as soon as he could and let her friends write in her letters to the family too.

Sherlock was apparently not doing so great without her, but was still scoring top marks in class. Eve knew that no one would dare go near her brother to bully him after she'd punched Dorian in the nose in 1st grade, but now that she was gone, they'd started to bully him again. She decided to go and pay her brother's new bully a visit during the Christmas vacation, which was due to start in around 3 weeks.

In their first 3 months alone, the gang had done so many pranks that they alone had lost around 200 points on the whole. But it was only on seperate occasions, so that was not a big deal. Besides, Gryffindor was still leading with the most number of points, thanks to Eve, Lily, Remus and Quidditch. The gang dyed Mrs. Norris' and Filch's hair at least 20 times, the latest color being a bubble-gum pink, created prank kits that exploded when a password was uttered within a 5km radius, changed the color of the robes of the Slytherins to red and gold, tried to start a food fight in vain, held a protest for feminism at school very successfully, ventured the Forbidden Forest much to the dissaproval of Hagrid, and even started a chain of fireworks for Christmas. 

For Christmas, all of Eve's friends, and Eve decided that they would visit Eve's house. Eve and the boys decided that they would meet at James' house, considering that Sirius' mother wouldn't let him step into a 'Mudblood's house' (so they decided to sneak him out from James' house) from where they'd go to her house for a small Christmas dinner on the 20th, Holmes' style. Lily decided that she would not go to the 'arrogant toerag's house' and that she would be staying with Eve from the start of vacation and certainly not visit James. But James was not disheartened at all. All he said was, "You'll fall for me next year, Evans! Mark my words!"

This could be the best Christmas ever, Eve thought, and for some unknown reason, she knew it to be true.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: From now on I'll only mention the more important parts of the year and not go in the smooth flow as chapters 1-8 did. It'll be more like time-patches and you'll obviously know which time-patch I'm talking about, 'cause we're Potterheads.

Also, this chapter is my newest longest chapter! Yay, I guess.