t h i r t y s i x

June 14th 2017
Brooklyn, NYC

Steve had been having some fun lately, being more spontaneous with money than usual. In the 40s money was tight, for everyone. But now, his monthly pay check for being Captain America was far larger than he made in an entire year back in his time. And as time went on, he was learning to have some fun with it, rather than saving it all and only buying essential food and new underwear.

Also, Tony was kinda rubbing off on him a little bit.

Steve sat in the back of the car, holding Embers hand as she gazed out of the window with a huge smile on her face, as if she was seeing the world for the first time, which in a way she was, only she wasn't seeing the whole world for the first time, just New York, and Steves driver (yes, he had a driver. He absolutely despised driving in New York, especially 21st century New York) was in the drivers seat, skilfully managing his way through the busy NYC streets.

"Hey, Bob?" Ember turned away from the window and spun around in the seat to stretch her legs across Steves lap, Steve claimed it was unsafe to not wear the seatbelt properly, but she didn't care. "I can call you Bob, right?"

"You'd be the only one, but sure, you can call me Bob" The driver replied with an impatient sigh.

His actual name was Robert, but Ember said it was boring.

"Thanks Bob." Ember grinned, amused, "Anyways, the black car behind us, are they your friends? Or do you have an admirer...? I dunno whats going on but they've been tailing us for the past like, fifteen minutes."

Steve looked at her, concern all over his features. Ember joked a lot, to was something he'd grown used to, but when he looked at her, and then out the back window, there was a car following them, tinted windows, and a private licence plate.

When Steve looked back at Ember, he noticed a hint of fear in her eyes, it was something he rarely seen from her, he assumed she was pretty laid back about everything, since the only time she had ever been genuinely nervous around him was when they spoke about the raft.

Maybe she wasn't as fearless after all.

"Robert, could you take the next left please? And just keep turning left until you're brought back onto this road, thanks." Steve instructed, his Captain America persona coming into play.

People assumed Steve was 'Captain America' all of the time, and he was a lot, especially when it came to peoples safety, especially Embers safety, but really when everything was off camera and there were no endangered civilians around, Steve Rogers was just... Steve Rogers.

Unless they were in the bedroom, then Steve didn't mind being Captain for a little longer.

"So I'm guessing the people in that car is neither a friend or an admirer?" Ember asked, again making a joke from the situation.

"Oh, I think they're an admirer, sweetheart, just not one of Roberts." Steve said, his attention focused out the back window.

They made a left turn onto a slightly less busy road, but it was New York, so of course it was still rather busy, and the car was still behind them. It stayed a little further back on the quieter roads, but they could tell that they were still being followed.

When they turned back onto the busy main street, Steve noticed that Robert locked all of the doors. He was glad he hired the right driver.

"You guys still want out?"

Robert knew about their relationship, he teased Steve when he saw him in the rear view mirror give Ember a kiss on the cheek, and had been sworn to secrecy.