ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

☟︎

*three months later*

"Hey kiddo" jay swiftly approached gabby as she sat on the couch with her laptop on her lap. She smiled and looked up at him, "hi" she watched as he sat down next to her on the couch.  He nodded to the application form on her screen, "whatcha signing up for?" He placed his hand on her shoulder.  Gabby smiled, "well my school has a volleyball team, and it's kinda full at the minute, but the coach said she's going to put my name down for the next try outs so there's not much I can do yet. But... the school also has a swim team, so I'm signing up for that too" she shrugged, happy with her new schools sports choices. 

               Jays eyebrows raised, "wow, cool cool cool. You any good at it?" He smiled softly, a hint of teasing nature in his tone.  Gabby shrugged and smiled, "I hope so... I mean, I used to be but I don't know about now" she huffed.  Jay nudged her shoulder, "you'll be great at whatever you do, I have zero doubt about that" he grabbed the remote.  She smiled, "thanks" she slowly looked back to her screen as jay turned the channel over to some cringy cop show he loves to pick apart, just like hank.

Erin is currently in court working a case she was the arresting officer in, meaning she was pretty busy today. It is however, jays day off, meaning he has all of the time in the world to spend with his daughter. Gabby closed her laptop and set it down on the coffee table, "all done, now we wait..." she sighed. Jay nodded, "they're fools if they don't accept you, don't stress over it" he held his arm out. She smiled and sighed as she rested her head on his shoulder, his arm resting on her shoulder. He looked down as an idea popped into his head, "should we go for some ice cream?" He squeezed her shoulder. Gabby looked up at him and smiled, "duh" she chuckled as he already began standing up.

~

"Anyone who chooses that flavour automatically gets death penalty" gabby shrugged as jay dug into his superman flavoured ice cream cone. Jay scoffed, "says the kid who chose mango sorbet" he smirked. Gabby huffed, "it's elite" she shrugged, also digging into her cone. Jay smiled, shaking his head at her cheeky smile, "how're you doing?" He nodded more seriously. Gabby frowned "how'd you mean?" She tilted her head slightly. Jay nodded, "just in general, how're things going? Anything bothering you? Anything you wanna talk about?" He shrugged. Gabby thought about it, "I don't think so, I'm actually okay. I feel okay" she slowly smiled a genuine smile, realising that she didn't have to lie when saying that.

               Jay smiled, looking her in the eye for any signs of hesitation, but there was none, "I'm glad to hear that, I really am" he wiped her cheek which she had somehow managed to get ice cream on.  She smiled and used her sleeve to wipe her cheek in case he missed it all, "you guys have been so patient with me, and I don't know how to thank you both enough..." she rambled.  Jay smiled, "you being here and proving to us that we were right about how strong you are, means so much more to us than a thank you" he nodded.  Gabby smiled, "I really don't know what I would've done, you know, if you guys didn't meet me when you did..." she thought back to the desperate times she had.  Jay squeezed her hand, "that's the past, look at where we are now. Look at where you are" he nodded.  She smiled and looked down, holy shit, i really am amazing, she thought to herself.

~

                 Erin finally strolled through the door at around 8:45pm looking rather happy and content, "how'd it go?" Jay wiped his hands with the cloth.  Erin smiled as she looked at the food he had finished making, "really good, the offender was sentenced to minimum of 15 years, no parol, and in a high security prison" she set her belongings down.  Jay smiled, "sounds like a reason to celebrate" he waved a bottle of wine in his hands.  Erin smiled as gabby walked into the kitchen, "did you win?" The fifteen year old walked into her open arms.  Erin smiled, "yeah something like that" she nodded, giving gabby an Eskimo kiss on the nose.  Gabby smiled, "good" she nodded. 

                 As the trio began talking about their day, gabby heard her computer ping from the coffee table in the room next door.  She squealed before running out of the kitchen, half sliding across the tiles, and diving in the couch.  Erin shot jay a pretty confused glare, "she applied for the school swim team" he whispered.  Erin mouthed oh before the pair of them heard a pretty excited yay coming from the living room, they left the kitchen to see gabby holding the laptop towards them, "I'm on the team!" She chuckled.  Jay smiled, "told you not to stress about it, well done gabs" he pulled her in for a side hug, planting a proud kiss onto her hair. 

                  "We're proud of you" Erin also done the same.  Gabby smiled as she set her laptop down, "does that mean I get to celebrate too?" She smirked, winking towards the wine on the centre piece of the table.  Jay chuckled, "nice try" he shook his head as smiled as he walked back into the kitchen.  Erin smiled, "when does practice start?" She ruffled gabbys hair up.  Gabby nodded, "Wednesday" she followed the pair into the kitchen.  Erin nodded, "sounds good" she smiled as gabby kept the excitement on her face.  Life is good...