Chapter 29

Hours had gone like pages in a book being swept by the wind. The kids who were playing tag earlier had now gone to their parents, Hiro and Suki included. And while you sat on the bench, you look at Kenma and Suki up ahead.

Eyes filled with warmth as you watch the two walking down the pathway towards you. Kenma stopped when he felt Suki tugged his hand, when he looked down he saw the laces from the little girl's shoes had come undone.

Kenma bent down and picked Suki up as he continued walking towards you until he got near and settled Suki on the bench beside you. Kenma kneeled down and tied the little girl's shoelace before he looked up.

"Suki," he started, and Kenma glance at you as if he's asking you something to which you realized right away as you nodded.

He's asking if this is the right time to tell the little girl.

"Do you remember when you asked me why you don't have a mommy?"

Suki tilted her head to the side before she nodded. Kenma's hands are propped on the edge of the bench as he looked the girl in the eye.

"Do you still want to know about your mom?"

"Daddy," she said before she looked at you. "Ms. Y/n is Suki's mommy."

"Suki-chan," you felt a sense of warmth engulfing your chest, warmer than any summer breeze you've felt before. "I'm Suki-chan's mommy, but Suki-chan had a mommy before Ms. Y/n came."

"I have?" Suki asked, looking back at Kenma who nodded.

Kenma doesn't know how to start, frankly he doesn't know where to start. Will he say that her mother is dead, just like that?

But then again, even if she's a kid, Kenma knew that she wouldn't exactly feel saddened at the fact that the woman who gave birth to her is dead. Because she has no lingering attachment to someone she doesn't know in the first place.

But you told Kenma that he should think of the little girl's mental wellbeing. Saying someone significant to her is dead just like that is inconsiderate to how the little girl might take it.

You noticed Kenma's hands tightening on the edge of the bench and you found yourself touching the back of his hand lightly. Somehow your touch had pulled him back from his short reverie and he blinked his eyes, focusing back to Suki.

"Suki's mom..." he trailed off, pausing for a second before he continued. "...is my older sister."

"Daddy's older sister is Suki's mommy?" she asked, tilting her head to the side again in utter confusion, eyebrows furrowed.