Chapter NINETEEN - Farewell

Chapter 19

The audience leaned closer to get a better look at the screen, as Naruto and Sasuke came into view.

"You both look like crap." Tsunade sighed. "Can you imagine the work the healer medics will have to do to help you both?"

Naruto chuckled as he scratched the back of his head.

"At least the both of you are alive." Minato breathed a sigh of relief.

"Ow..." Sasuke groaned as he awoke.

"You've finally come to, huh." Naruto wheezed.

Sasuke looked at his body as he was lying down, "As you can see, if either of us moves too much, we'll bleed out and die."

Silence passed for a long moment, "Why do you go so far? Why did you do all that just to get in my way?" Sasuke asked.

"I... gained the power to enter darkness and sever all ties." Sasuke coughed, "And naturally, everyone's tried to cut their ties to me too, at some point. Except for you, you've never attempted to cut me off."

Sasuke looked at Naruto in the eyes, "No matter what. Why do you keep involving yourself with me?!"

"Now that your body can't move, your mouth sure is moving a lot." Naruto chuckled.

"Just answer me!"

Minato and Kushina held their breath as they waited.

"Cause you're my friend."

"You've said that before, but what exactly does that mean to you?"

Naruto looked up at the sky, "You ask me to explain it, but honestly it's not like I really understand it either, just that when I see you take on stuff and get all messed up... it kinda... hurts."

Minato wiped tears from his eyes.

Fugaku did the same, not being able to stop himself from shedding a few tears at his son's surprised look at hearing Naruto's words.

"How lonely does Sasuke have to be, that he's shocked when he hears someone say as a friend it hurts to see him go down the wrong path?" Kakashi asked.

"It hurts inside so much; I can't just leave it alone!"

"Though today I'm in a ton of pain everywhere." Naruto laughed as he shivered in aching pain.

Sasuke looked at Naruto once again as he thought back. 'I always knew you were alone too, I felt better knowing that there was someone who was like me out there. I was so happy and wanted to talk to you, be around you.'

'But I never could. Because I was also jealous of you. You were good at everything. You were my rival!'

"He's so conflicted. My poor baby." Mikoto whispered.

"We'll do everything we can to make sure this doesn't come to pass, right Mikoto?" Fugaku gave a small smile.

"We will." Mikoto smiled.