Chapter 34

In the subsequent weeks, Reiko's presence at school was infrequent at best. If it hadn't been for the fact that her grades were still impeccable and she was Jiro Ishikawa's daughter she would've been placed on academic probation. Those who knew her understood that the day of her social debut party was quickly approaching, and she would be missing school often to help with the preparations. Obviously, Reiko's absences bled into the club. Although she always left a to-do list and appointment sheet for them each day her absence was felt by all the Host Club's members. Reiko had only been to a handful of meetings in the past six weeks, and they were starting to really miss her.

     That was why most of the young men from the Host Cub were bouncing with excitement as their families' limousines pulled up to the large iron-wrought gates with the name "Ishikawa" printed in large gold lettering at the center.

     "We finally get to see Rei-chan! I bet she'll look really pretty!" Honey exclaimed to Mori as they were escorted to the front doors.

     "Good evening, young masters Haninozuka and Morinozuka, please follow us this way," a maid said and brought them to a table with their families' names on it.

     After settling into their seats, the two third years looked around the estate's ballroom. Brilliant crystal chandeliers hung from the high vaulted ceilings and illuminated the room below. The marble floors had been polished until one could see their own reflection in them. On the far side of the room, the golden drapes had been pulled back over the floor-to-ceiling French doors and windows, allowing moonlight to stream into the room and letting people walk in and out of the balconies. The decorations for the parties were red and gold; it was tasteful and classic but sent a message: whatever they were announcing that evening was going to make the Ishikawa family even more powerful than it already was. It seemed that the press was aware of this, too, as photographers and journalists who had been invited were milling around the space, taking pictures of the decorations and interviewing different guests to get the scoop on the big announcement that would be made that night.

     As he followed one of the journalists with his eyes, Honey quickly noticed a familiar head of ginger hair in the background.

     "Hey look! I found Hika-chan and Kao-chan! Let's go say hi!" Honey exclaimed, pointing towards the twins on the other side of the ballroom.

     "Let's go," Mori agreed.

     The pair approached the twins, who had arrived with Haruhi as their additional guest.

     "Hey you guys!" Honey greeted them.

     "Oh, hey Honey-senpai and Mori-senpai. You guys look great!" Haruhi told them. The third years, like the rest of the male party guests, were dressed in fancy tuxedos. The brunette sighed, relieved she'd let the twins' maids change her clothes before they'd left.

     "Thanks Haru-chan! You look super pretty too! It's an important night for Rei-chan! We wouldn't miss it for the world!"

     Haruhi nodded in agreement. "Right."

     "Well, look at who we have over here," a familiar voice spoke.

     The group turned and smiled brightly when they saw Tamaki and Kyoya approaching them.

     "Hey boss, you and Kyoya-senpai sure look sharp," Hikaru said.

     Tamaki tugged on his suit jacket's lapels. "Oh, this old thing? I pulled it out of the back of my closet."

     "That's a lie," Kyoya immediately countered. "You had it especially tailored for this evening."

     "KYOYA!" the blonde screeched as his cheeks flushed in embarrassment.