Chapter 96

Author's Note

Hello everyone! I hope you're enjoying the story so far, and thank you so much for 1 million reads!

This truly means the world to me, and I couldn't have gone this far without you. I love you guys so much!

***

Diana's heart was in chaos. From the crowded King's Cross stations and all the way to their house, she couldn't stop thinking about Remus, his words echoing through her mind on repeat.

     Everything had happened so fast that she still couldn't quite take a grasp of it. Had he actually broken up with her? Is that what he had meant by saying 'I won't bother her anymore'?

She hated how weak she felt when it came to him, but what she hated more was that she had no control over it.

Remus was the first and only person she had felt comfortable enough to open up to. The first one she had shown her emotions to, no matter how vulnerable these emotions made her feel. He was her one and only weakness, and yet somehow he was the one who could hurt her the most.

Diana desperately wished that she had someone to talk to. She wished she had been closer with her mother, like how she knew Layla was with hers. But for the sake of her own future, Diana knew she couldn't say a word to her mother about Remus Lupin.

Remus hadn't been entirely wrong by saying that his family weren't rich enough. That the Lupins weren't noble enough. And even though Diana didn't care about any of these at all, her parents definitely would, and she knew it.

She would be grounded if her parents found out that she wasn't with a Pureblood wizard. And even worse, they would even go as far as disowning her and kicking her out of the house if they knew that the boy was a werewolf.

But Remus didn't understand any of this. He didn't understand her life at all. The only take he had on the matter was that Diana was embarrassed to be seen with him, which wasn't the case at all.

The full moon is tomorrow night. He wasn't being himself, Diana thought to herself, desperately trying to justify his actions, but that didn't make the memory of his cold look and his harsh words any less painful.

"... so I want you to be at your best behavior. This gathering is very important to our family," her mother's voice snapped Diana out of her thoughts as she was sitting around the dinner table with her parents.

     Diana looked up at her mother nervously. She had been so lost in her thoughts that she'd forgotten to even listen to what her parents were talking about.

     She already felt grumpier, knowing that they were supposed to visit her brother and his wife tomorrow, and assumed that this was what her mother was referring to.

      "Er... okay," Diana said carelessly, placing her elbow on the table and resting her chin upon her palm as she stared rigidly down at her plate.

     "Oh, for Merlin's sake, Diana, please don't slouch. It's unladylike." Her mother shook her head at Diana in disappointment.

     "That's why I do it," Diana mumbled, still not daring enough to say it out loud and face the wrath of her mother. This sentence had become her reflex answer to almost anything her mother said, like an instinct.

      "Please leave the Ministry earlier than usual on Monday," Mrs. Greengrass told her husband. "We don't want to be late."

"Very well," Mr. Greengrass said tonelessly without even glancing up at his wife.