6: The Serpent and the Fox (2)

Shu Yue was seated cross-legged on her bed, her eyes closed in concentration. Beads of sweat trickled down her forehead, causing it to tickle and itch, but she dared not move and remained focused on recuperating. Her body was wrapped in a silver-white mist known as chi. Warmth spread throughout her body like molten gold as she continued to absorb the surrounding natural energy.

She didn't know how many hours had passed. She had been meditating since she arrived at the Chen residence. But, with only a minor internal injury, it wouldn't take her months to regain her strength.

Another hour had passed, and she ended her meditation. She hadn't fully recovered yet, but she had important matters to discuss with Xiao Ran that couldn't wait until tomorrow. She let out a breath and opened her eyes. The evening had darkened the latticed windows, and the burning candles illuminated her room. Xiao Ran must have lit them up without breaking her concentration.

Xiao Ran was the only one who could go in and out of her room without disturbing her meditation. That being the case, the stubborn yet loyal bodyguard insisted on always standing guard while she healed.

Shu Yue felt herself smile as she looked at Xiao Ran's tall dark silhouette in the latticework door--a human-like form with pointy ears atop his head and a bushy tail poking out behind him. Sighing, she uncrossed her legs and lowered her feet to the floor. She smoothed her robe.

"Xiao Ran," she called out in a quiet voice.

Xiao Ran twitched his fox ears. "Young Mistress?"

"Come here."

Xiao Ran opened the door and went inside, shutting it behind him. He stood by the door in silence for a moment, staring at her. There was dried blood on his sleeve--Shu Yue's blood--which meant he had been standing there the entire time and had never left, waiting and guarding while his master meditated. For five hours.

"I told you you didn't have to stand guard," Shu Yue said softly.

"I didn't want anyone disturbing your meditation," Xiao Ran explained. "If I hadn't been guarding, that kid would have already disrupted your recuperation." He sighed and stepped closer to her. "Do you have something to tell me, Young Mistress?"

"I do," Shu Yue answered with a nod, then looked up at him. His eyes were calm and alert, as if he already knew what was on her mind. "Ah, I presume you already know why I summoned you here?"

"I have some guesses, Young Mistress."

Shu Yue raised an eyebrow at him, encouraging him to continue.

"I'm assuming you want to talk about that girl from the Springbear tribe," Xiao Ran said with a shrug.

Shu Yue smiled. Pleased. "You never disappoint, my dear fox."

Xiao Ran was silent for several seconds, staring at her face, and then said in a soft voice, "You're not fully recovered yet, Young Mistress."

"I will be by tomorrow." She gestured at the tea table where a warm tea was waiting. "Please take a seat; this discussion is critical to our plans."

Xiao Ran blinked. Then he smiled. "I see you've already determined her role in your plan." He walked over to the tea table and sat down.

"If," Shu Yue said with emphasis, "my theory is correct." She rose from the bed and sat across from Xiao Ran at the table. "But I have no doubt. I sensed something different from her aura. It was faint and hazy, almost undetectable, but it's there."