Chapter 13 - Sheep In A Wolf's Clothing

It was the time for a new term. After visiting Diagon Alley, and buying their new supplies, The Marauders, [as the gang called  themselves now (Lily called them Marauders first)] went to look at new broomsticks. Eve noticed that Remus wasn't really looking well, just like always. Remus was very pale, and Eve noticed that he'd gotten new scars over the few months. She decided to ask him about it later and went inside Quality Quidditch Supplies to help James find a broom.

On September 1, The Marauders claimed a compartment for themselves (yes, claimed), and settled down while James went to ask Lily whether she'd 'like the honour of being his girlfriend.' As the new term began, the Marauders had come up with new pranks and decided to head out to the Library more often than usual to look for books that had ideas for pranks.

A week after school had started the Eve was with her friends at the Library when she found the book- Defence Against The Creatures Of The Dark. It piqued her interest, and she sat on one of the benches to surf through it. She had just finished reading about Dementors, when Remus came in and told her that he was going to 'visit his mother' again. Eve just nodded at him and continued to flip the pages as the rest of the Marauders started to understand that Remus was clearly lying and trying to deduce what was wrong with Remus. And that's when it struck Eve. She looked out the window. It was a full moon.

"I have a theory."

"What?" The rest of them asked, surprised that Eve had found out the answer so quickly.

"I said, I have a theory, I just have to check whether it's right," she said, as she picked up her pen to mark the date on her diary.

Within the next month, there were loads of changes that were brought about by the Marauders in the Gryffindor Common Room. There was now a snack bar that the Marauders re-stocked every 3 days once and the newspaper stand that had only Daily Prophet had been converted to an amazing magazine stand with all kinds of Magical and Muggle Magazines from around the world. The Marauders also climbed up the Gryffindor Tower to stick a long pole that they'd found on the road at the top of the tower, thereby beating the height of the Ravenclaw Tower. Gryffindor Tower was officially the most coziest and tallest tower at Hogwarts, 2-in-1. James, Sirius and Eve had gotten into the Quidditch team, as Chaser, Beater and Seeker respectively. James' parents were so proud of him that they bought Nimbus 1994s as gifts to Sirius and Eve each.

It was the month of January when Eve finally concluded her experiment and come to a final answer. She decided that The Marauders will follow Remus and not disturb him, but when he comes out, they'll confront him about it.

"Hey, so I found out about Remus." She told her friends when Remus left them to visit his mother that day.

"You did?" James asked.

"Yeah, he's.. well, he's a were-"

"He's a werewolf?" Sirius interrupted.

"Yes, he's a werewolf."

A minute of silence.

"But he's still the same old Rem. He folds his socks, mate. Just because he turns into a wolf once a month and has no control over it doesn't mean he's a monster." Sirius stated.

James continued, "Yeah. No one's perfect- no Sirius, everyone has their flaws. For example my right hand is longer than my left. You can't really see it very easily, but if you actually measure it-"

"A very weird example to use, James, but sure." It was Pettigrew who spoke now.

Eve told, "I will agree with Pete on that. But I would have really felt better if he'd just told us. We're his best friends, it's not like we'd leave him, right?"

"Maybe he was just afraid."

"Well, he shouldn't have to be. I know Rem's whole schedule. He comes out of the Whomping Willow every full moon. We're gonna confront him the first thing in the morning."

"I'm in," all three of them said in unison, and James went to get his Invisibility Cloak.

The next morning, a very tired Remus Lupin came out from the place that he hid in when he turned into a werewolf, when the Whomping Willow tried to hit him. Sirius ran out of the Cloak to go and save Remus. In the end, both of them got beaten up by the Willow and Eve coolly slid through the Willow's incoming attacks and touched the knot at the trunk of the tree.

"You see, but you do not observe, honey." She told Sirius, who was on the ground with Remus.

"Couldn't have done that any sooner, could you?" He snapped.

"Not unless I risked my life too."

"I hate you." Sirius growled.

"Aww, I love you too." Eve replied with a smile.

"Wha-What are you guys doing here?" Remus asked, fearing whether his friends had found out.

"We could ask you the same question too, Remus." James said with a sly look on his face. Remus blinked.

"See, my dear friend, we noticed that you left the dorms exactly on every full moon-"

"Hey! I was the one who noticed it, not you, Sirius!"

"Well, Eva noticed it, and she told us that you were a werewolf and we just wanted to test if that theory was right, you know?" Sirius said with a wide grin.

"So- so, you're not gonna be friends with me anymore? I totally-"

"No, we're not gonna be friends anymore. We're gonna be best friends, Rem." Peter said.

"Bu-But, I'm-I'm a monster!"

"Please stop stammering, Remus. For God's sake, like Sirius said, you fold your socks. You even do your own laundry so that the elves don't have extra work, you idiot! You're just a cinnamon roll, do you understand? And you're a cinnamon roll worth dying for, do you understand?" Eve told Remus with a stern look on her face.

"Ye-Yes."

"That's not gonna do. Less stammering. Repeat after me. 'I'm a cinnamon roll worth dying for.' Say it, Rem." James instructed.

"I-I'm a cinnamon roll worth dy-dying for."

"Good, let's get out of here before the Willow wakes up again." Sirius said, and held out a hand for Remus to hold and get up.

"Thanks, guys."

"Don't mention it, Moony," all of them said at the same time.

"Moony?" Remus asked.

The Marauders just chuckled and led the way back into the castle and Remus walked with his friends to castle, growing more grateful for his friends by the minute.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: The first time James let's his Mom side out. Writing this was fun for me. How'd you like the chapter?