• 𝐂hapter 46

The loud noise that resonated from somewhere in the house violently yanked me out of my impromptu nap on the couch and the words

The loud noise that resonated from somewhere in the house violently yanked me out of my impromptu nap on the couch and the words. "100!" Flew right out of my mouth as I rolled off and fell face-down to the ground.

Fuck. I groaned, using the coffee table as leverage to get my sore self back up. My eyes blinked a few times and without a doubt, I knew I'd slept too long.

Crap.

Still trying to process exactly how I had fallen asleep, I dug my phone out from underneath me to check the time but a message sent by Hope twenty minutes ago popped up on my screen.

Hope: I'll be home soon. Please bath the kids.

A bath?

Shit. The kids. I sprung up from the couch, neglecting my still hurting ankle as I hustled towards the base of the stairs. "Oliver! Lilith!"

No one answered. The house was quiet. Too quiet.

"Oliver! Lilith!" I bellowed again and waited, but silence filled the house.

"Oliver! Lilith!" I figured they'd turn up in a few minutes, but it was way past that, and no voices sounded.

Where the hell were they?

I rushed up the stairs and started searching through all the rooms, a million thoughts running through my head as I did it.

How the hell was I supposed to explain to Hope that I lost two kids while taking a nap?

"Hey, kids!" I continued to yell as I searched the room, looking like a limping maniac.

"Lilith!" I opened the drawers in the playroom. Still nothing.

I searched the kitchen cabinets or anywhere else I was sure they could fit into. Shit.

I barged into my own room. Why the hell would they be here?

I forked my hair in frustration, just about walking out when I heard the sound of a girly giggle.

"Lilith?"

My open closet rattled. I took a self-conscious step back and watched as she crawled out with a triumphant grin on her face.

I leaned forward, placed my hands on my knees, and sighed with relief. She looked unhurt and in perfect shape. Although the red lipstick slicked all over her mouth was a bit questioning.

"What's that on your lips?" For some reason, I needed to be clear it wasn't Oliver's blood.

"It's aunty Hope's lipstick."

I crossed my arm over my chest and glared at her. "You were in her room?"

She blinked innocently in a way that would've been cute if I wasn't so annoyed and exhausted and in pain. Speaking of pains. There was one pain in the ass still missing.