Chapter 16 - Ideas And Revelations

Ever since he realized that he actually fancied Eve, Sirius tried to understand whether she did too. He constantly flirted with her, and had indirectly asked her out to Hogsmeade too (when they were alone, obviously. He didn't want Potter knowing this little piece of information).

But Eve was currently very occupied at the Library. She was constantly searching for books, and only returned to the Common Room to do her Homework with Lily and Remus. Sometimes, she even ate at the Library. Madam Pince had always liked the girl, and Eve had always made sure that Library was left unaffected after the Marauders' pranks. And that was why Eve was allowed to eat in the Library. Eve was too busy at the Library to understand that Sirius was asking her out for a date. She only told him "Can we talk later, Siri? I'm busy right now." Sirius, who was fed up, stopped asking her and decided to go to Hogsmeade with the other Marauders.

Christmas went and came, and Eve stayed at Hogwarts, ever still at the Library. Even Minnie was concerned for the girl when she didn't show up at Christmas Dinner. She went and brought her forcefully to dinner and Dumbledore only chuckled at the sight of Minnie scolding Eve like she was Minnie's own daughter.

By the end of Christmas, Eve was done with her research. She only need tell her friends and get the ingredients. It was going to be extremely difficult, yes, but James did have rich parents, and he was a bit spoiled, so Eve doubted whether they'd find it difficult to get the ingredients, considering that James' dad himself was a potioneer.

As soon as the rest of the Marauders appeared at Hogwarts after the Christmas vacation and they were all alone, and Remus had gone to the Shrieking Shack for his monthly visit, Eve sat opposite to the group and opened a big book.

"We've always wanted to help Moony, right?"

"Yep."

"I have an-"

"-Idea, as usual. Proceed, Eve."

"We can become Animagi."

Everyone was silent. Their faces frowned for a minute, like they were thinking. Suddenly, Sirius broke into applause.

"That's the best idea you've had in ages, Holmes. I. AM. IN."

James nodded and so did Peter.

"But we're going to have to be unregistered Animagi. They ask for your reason. Why you want to be an Animagus. Obviously, we can't give Remus away," Eve continued.

"That's a better idea!" Sirius said with a laugh.

And after summarising the whole process, Eve read out the warnings to her friends.

The many things to be wary of:

When the process of becoming an Animagus goes wrong, it often goes seriously wrong. We're talking horrible half-human, half-animal mutations here, with no known cure.

The first transformation is usually 'uncomfortable and frightening. and items such as glasses or jewellery meld to the skin and become one with fur, scales or spikes.'

When you first transform, try to avoid panicking otherwise the animal mind 'may gain the ascendancy' and you could do something stupid or dangerous.

'Generally, wizards prefer to have their clothes with them, to escape the embarrassment of reappearing naked'.

Don't forget to log your personal details and Animagus appearance on the Animagus Registry. Failure to do this might land you in Azkaban prison.

"We're not following the last point though." Peter said.

"Nope. That's the fun part," James said.

"So, we'll start next term, after the finals. We can't really do this and focus on our finals at the same time. Also, let's be discreet about this with Moony and the others, shall we?"

"We got you," James said.

"So, this is what you've been doing at the Library all this time!" Sirius said.

"Yes. What did you think I was doing, studying for our exams? Like I would ever!" Eve said with a fake laugh.

She spent the rest of the night with her friends before they went to sleep so that they could wake up early to get Remus to the Hospital Wing. Only James noticed how Loverboy was looking at Eve. He chuckled to himself and thought about how dense Eve was to not observe Sirius staring at her like he was staring at the stars he loved so much. After all, she was the most observant one.

Literally every single girl (perhaps except Lily and Eve) at Hogwarts fancied Sirius Black. He even had a fan club. But he decided to go after the one girl who looked at him as a best friend rather than a cute boy with beautiful grey eyes and superb hair and a potential boyfriend. And James couldn't complain about it. Eve was the only woman who actually cared about him. She had always stayed with Sirius in the past 2 years. She held Sirius' hand when he told the Marauders about the bruises on his arm. She was always there when he needed to let down his emotional baggage.

And James had already written down his best man's speech that day, when he saw Eve and Sirius holding their hands so tight as explained his family's idiotic beliefs. And he was glad to know that he was right.

"You fancy her, Siri," James told Sirius as they went to bed. Peter was still downstairs looking at the book that Eve had read the process of becoming an Animagus from.

"Fancy? Fancy who? I'm fancy, mate, don't worry about me." Sirius said with a hint of panic in his voice.

"Don't worry, I won't tell her. Or anyone else," he said with a wide grin.

Sirius only sighed and muttered a small thanks before he landed on the bed.

"As long as I'm best man, you understand?" James continued.

"Woah, slow down there. I don't even know whether she likes me back, mate."

"Well, I think she just might. Give her some time, just like I do with Lily."

"And how successful have you been at that, Jamie-boy?"

"I'll get there one day, Sirius. I'll get there. And you can be my best man. As long as I'm yours."

"Deal," Sirius said as Peter entered the dorm.

"Deal? A deal for what?" Peter asked.

"A deal for a very private matter, Pete. It's not about you don't worry," Sirius told him.

"Good Night, fellow Marauders," James spoke dramatically.

"'Night."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Ahhh, James knows! Eve is so thick- headed, really. She sees, but never observes.

Next chapter will mostly be about becoming the Animagus. I have some crazy ideas.

Also, all the info about becoming an Animagus is from the official Pottermore website. So, rights to Pottermore.