When it hits..

Day 25, 11:45, Mt. Everest

     Jake took off his goggles to take a better look around him. The view was indescribably beautiful. He felt like he could stand there forever and look it.

       They were almost the peak. By mid day they should be there, the snow had began to pick up last evening. It cleared up a little that morning them, giving them a quick start that morning but it looked like it might snow again.

       "Keep up Jake, the best view is at the top." Clare said.

        Jake put his goggles back on and took another breath from his oxygen canister. As he took a deep breath. He heard the sound of some one falling down behind him. He turned around to see Sam who was behind him fallen down.

       "Hey bro, you good?" Jake asked.

       "Yeah, yeah I'm good." Sam said. "I'm just feeling a little dizzy."

      "No kidding your oxygen is almost up." Jake said looking at Sam's oxygen canister." Are you up for the last leg?"

      "Yeah, yeah I'm good." Sam said getting up." I can make it."

      "You sure bro?" Jake asked." I don't want you falling off a cliff or something."

      Sam chuckled under his scarf."I thought Elton was the over-protective uncle."

       "Hey!" Jake said, hauling Sam up to his feet." You've got this Sam." Jake put Sam's arm over his shoulder to help support him. Bee took Sam's other arm one the shoulder. They carried on, the wind was picking up and was smacking them all hard in the face.

       They came to thin trail with a ice wall on one side and cliff on the other. Ropes on ice wall for them to hold onto. Jake looked ahead and saw the top not too far way from them. He got his feet in place and stared to walk along the trail, Abhik , Bee, and Colby in front of him with the rest behind him.

     They climbed, stumble and struggled against the wind and gusts off snow. They were so close to fulfilling there dream. A dream very few achieve. They pushed on, step by step.

      A strong gust of wind blocked Jakes vision for a moment bu when it cleared, he saw it there. In front them, a small hill of rocks, with small banners flags covered with snow adoring it.

     Those next moments seemed to go in slow motion. Jake wanted to run and touch the top of that hill but his tired legs and his burnt out lungs held him back. After several steps, he stretched out his arm and touched the tip before collapsing a the foot of the hill.

     "Yes!" Elton cheered out stretching his arms to the world. They had done it. They had reached the top of Mt. Everest.

      Every one a began to tear up and hug each other. " We did it." Colby said as he hugged Sam.

     "We made it." Sam agreed, wiping his eyes.

      "Group photo guys." Jake said pulling out his camera." We can't bring the mountain back for the girls but we can bring them back photo."

     Giving Abhik the camera, Jake and the others, including Clare, they really couldn't have her not in the picture. They smiled widely and put there arms on each others shoulders.

     "Did you bring a flag?" Abhik asked after the took the picture.

      "Did we guys?" Corey asked.

       "Yes, we did." Jake said, going into Elton's back pack and pulling out a small black flag with their YouTube channel logo on it. "Who shall have the honour of planting it?"

     "Sam and Colby." Elton and Corey said at the same time.

     "They are the one who had the idea anyway." Corey said. Sam and Colby chuckled and took the flag. Each having one hand on the flag they planted in the little hill of rocks and snow.

       'I'm so proud of you guys." Clare said putting her hands on Sam and Colby's shoulder. "I'm proud of all of you."

      Just then Abhik 's walkie talkie turned on. "Abhik , this is Anthea. Do, you copy?"

     "I copy Anthea." Abhik responded.

     "Oh Good. Were are you are?" She asked.

       "Uh-we are on the top of Everest." Abhik said.

      A few cheers were heard from the radio." Well done, all of you." Anthea said.

      " You don't sound too happy, Anthea." Jake said tuning in with his own talkie. "Is everything alright at Base camp."

      "You boys shouldn't stay up for too long." Anthea said. "You got a storm up to you."

     "How soon?" Abhik asked.

     "We aren't too sure but you better not be up there when it hits." Anthea said.

      "We won't.' Abhik said. "Thanks for telling us, Anthea."

     "Make sure you guys get back safe, okay?"

     "Okay." Jake said, then she cut off.

     "You heard her." Abhik said." We should get going."

        "Right let's go." Elton said. The group got up, they took one more look at the mountain before they.started to make there way back down the mountain. Jake took a deep breath into his oxygen, he couldn't wait to post on social media his success.

                                                                                * * *

      Corey looked at the grey clouds coming start towards them. He was feeling sick to his stomach, as much as he didn't want to admit it he was terrified. The weather had been perfect for most of their time on the mountain. He wasn't ready for this sudden storm.

       Clare wanted them to get down the steps parts of the mountain before it hit. Corey could tell everyone was itching to just raced down the trial but doing so was way too dangerous.

       "There's ledge, Bowie go first." Clare said." That storm can hit any minutes so let's make this quick."

      Bowie took the rope and began to scale down. Corey was second last. He waited impatiently as everyone lowered themselves down.

     "Go nice and easy. O.k Corey." Clara said putting a reassuring hand on Corey's shoulder."If that storm doesn't get you, your rushing will."

      "Got it, Clare." Corey said, he still didn't feel much better. He took the rope and began to climb down. One foot after another he went down, he looked over his shoulder and gasped."Clare!" He exclaimed.

       "Hurry up, Elton." Clare said. She saw it too. The storm was seconds away. Waist no time she strapped herself and started to climb down.

       Just as Corey's foot touched the bottom of the ledge a powerful gust of wind slammed into him pushing him agains the wall of the ledge. The storm had hit.

      The group didn't stop, they had to continue until they got to camp 4. It wasn't safe to stop. They tied each other together so they didn't get lost. They walked for hours but the storm didn't stop.