Chapter 2 The Caves

Am I dead? She asked herself.

No, she could feel her heartbeat. She could hear something clamoring above her. She could distinctly smell the heart-flower berries. The wind was howling in the distance.

Her eyes burst open.

A bright light burned into her eyes. The dragons looking at her stopped what they were doing, their mouths hanging wide open. Their scales turned indigo and blue. Their eyes lit up. 

The only dragon who hadn't seen her was pacing in the corner. Their eyes were shut, their scales a very pale green with spots of dark purple. He occasionally bumped into the wall, sharp bursts of white showered his scales every time he did.

"Yo! Mango! She's awake," said the dragon to her left. The dragon's eyes flew open and he pushed the healers aside. When his eyes met hers his scales turned the brightest pink and even the tiny orange spot faded for just a second. His eyes turned yellow. Her heart warmed knowing he hadn't left her behind.

"I'm so sorry, I thought I could have..." At that moment he burst into tears. The healer that had spoken before led him out. That was weird. Cherry thought. 

After they left, another dragon stepped forward. She wore a look of intense curiosity. "He just got overwhelmed." She stepped even closer, examining her scales."Sorry to ask but, are you a hybrid?" she asked.

Cherryblossom sighed solemnly and looked down. That's always the first question, she thought. The other dragon turned gray-blue and stuttered, "S-sorry."

Cherryblossom looked up, smiled, and said, "Oh, no, no, it's okay, and yes I am a hybrid." The dragon's face lightened up immediately and her scales became yellow.

"Half RainWing half LeafWing. I was raised by a dragon that's part Leafwing and part Nightwing named Starflower," Cherry continued.

Another dragon looked deep in thought and murmured to herself, "Starflower... sounds familiar... Ah! I think I know the Starflower you are talking about."

"You do?!" she said, surprised and excited, "Do you know where she is now?"

"No, no, I haven't seen her in a long time. She rarely ever comes to the main village," said the dragon. Cherryblossom frowned, I wonder what she is up to. Not like she would ever tell me if I asked her though, she thought, and starting to feel her eyelids get heavy, she closed her eyes and fell into a long sleep.

When Cherryblossom woke up, the healers greeted her. 

But before they could explain anything, she decided to go back home. When she got there hours later, there was another note on her desk, but this time it wasn't from Starflower.

𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝑪𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒚, 

 𝑰 𝒂𝒎 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒚 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒆 𝒃𝒚 𝒏𝒐𝒘. 𝑰 𝒂𝒎 𝒔𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝑺𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒇𝒍𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒔 𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒃𝒖𝒔𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒕 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒖𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒅𝒐 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒕𝒂𝒔𝒌, 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒈𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒘𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒊𝒏𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒘𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒅𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆. 𝑯𝒐𝒑𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒍, 𝒓𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓 𝒅𝒐 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒌 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒅𝒐 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒂 𝒖𝒏𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒈𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒐𝒓 𝒘𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓.