21

"Meng Chang, are you very free?" Shang JunLin's eyes narrowed slightly.

"This slave has a lot to do. This slave will go now." Meng Gonggong could understand. His Majesty was young and strong, and Noble Monarch Shen was the only one in the harem. Noble Monarch Shen couldn't bear the emperor's energy.

Poor Noble Monarch Shen, he suffered a great deal. It was fortunate Imperial Physician Gu was so skilled at medicine, or they'd have to worry more about Noble Monarch Shen's health.

Shen Yu changed his clothes and came out from behind the screen. Meng Gonggong was no longer present. Shen Yu looked around the room and didn't see anyone else either.

"Are you looking for something?" Shang JunLin came over and helped Shen Yu insert a hairpin into his topknot.

Shen Yu hadn't reached the age to be crowned. He didn't tie up his hair very often because he didn't like cumbersome styles of dress. Usually he tied his hair casually with a ribbon.

Today, in a rare change from the norm, Shen Yu bound up his hair with a jade hairpin inlaid with rubies. It made him look more noble than usual, like his entire person was radiant and glittering.

"Where is Meng Gonggong? Isn't he always by your side to serve you?"

Shen Yu's clothes now represented the status of a noble monarch. Everything about him was elegant and luxurious, so dazzling no one could tear their eyes away.

Shang JunLin looked at him quietly for a while before answering. "This emperor sent him to do something."

"Oh." Shen Yu didn't ask more.

Aside from the day he entered the palace, this was the first time Shen Yu had worn such an ornate and unwieldy costume. After straightening his sleeves he decided that although it looked good, it restricted his movements a little too much.

"Your Majesty, do I look good today?" Shen Yu stood close to Shang JunLin. His voice was as soft as a handful of water.

When Shang JunLin met that stunning and unparalleled face, it was impossible to say otherwise.

Shen Yu waited a while, but Shang JunLin didn't answer. Shen Yu deliberately made an unhappy face. "Is it really that bad? I'm so ugly His Majesty can't bring himself to speak."

"No, the noble monarch is extremely beautiful today." It wasn't only today. In Shang JunLin's eyes, Shen Yu was so beautiful that he tantalized his heart every moment.

When he realized his beautiful noble monarch would soon be viewed by all the courtiers, Shang JunLin frowned to himself. He was seized by the idea of shutting Shen Yu in the harem where no one else could see him.

He shook off the strange thoughts that sprang into his mind and said, "When the noble monarch is ready, we'll go."

Shen Yu had no idea what Shang JunLin was thinking. He smiled, drew nearer, and gave a sigh. "Your Majesty is also extremely beautiful today," he said in a low voice.

"You're the only one who dares to describe this emperor like that." When he looked at the stunning face so close at hand, Shang JunLin's fingers curled.

Shen Yu: "I'm just telling the truth. Your Majesty won't punish me for that, right?"

Shang JunLin: "This emperor thinks you're very brave. You're not afraid of being punished?"

"Your Majesty is mistaken. I only have a little courage, just a little bit." Shen Yu raised his hand and indicated the short distance between his index finger and thumb. "But what I'm afraid of most is pain. Your Majesty can't hurt me in the future."