SIX

The girl eventually lost her best friend at the party. She was probably somewhere with a cute guy doing God knows what. Poppy decided to wander off to trees behind where the Specialist trained. There was always never anyone there and she needed a break from everyone.

What the girl didn't expect was to see the boy she was avoiding all this time to be there smoking. The boy quickly saw the girl, taking one last hit, and throwing it onto the floor and putting it out.

"I could go if..."

Riven shook his head. "I was finished anyways."

Awkward.

Awkward would be a great word to describe this situation. The two haven't really had a decent conversation since they broke up. And that was 4 months ago. The boy tried leaving numerous voicemails, drunk and sober, trying to get the girl's attention. But nothing.

"Look Riv, it doesn't have to be awkward between us." Poppy tried saying.

"Why would it be awkward with us?" Riven asked.

"Because we used to um..."

"Used to what? Date? Is that what we did?"

Poppy sighed. The boy was always so stubborn, but so was she. "Look I know I ended it in the most shitty way possible but..."

"There are no buts Poppy. You broke up with me, ok. That's one thing, another is doing it over text. You wouldn't even respond to my text, calls, really anything so I can hear your explanation. You left me high and dry." Riven explained, still very annoyed at what happened.

"I know but..."

"But what?" Riven chuckled and shook his head. "If you're gonna try to make this my fault I really don't need to hear it ok."

"It's not your fault Riv. I know that. I just... I'm sorry."

Riven sighed. Even if the girl in front of him broke his heart, he needed to be strong. He knew he would easily forgive the girl if she just said those words. He was weak like that. But he needed to remember what happened.

"Is that all you have to say? That you're sorry."

Poppy looked at the ground. She couldn't bear to look at the boy. She did some things that she regretted and she knew it was all her fault their relationship went crashing down, but she didn't know what to say. She didn't know how to make this better.

"I don't know what else to say."

"Tell me this." Riven walked closer to the girl. "Tell me why you all of a sudden broke up with me."

Poppy sighed and looked at the boy. His green blue eyes were always her weakness. "You wouldn't understand."

"Then make me understand Poppy. This is a 2 person relationship. I could have helped with whatever it was you needed. But you didn't tell me."

"I'm already a burden to people, I didn't want to throw it all on you."

Riven shook his head at the stubborn girl. "You know what? I tried with you Poppy. I really did and if you're not even gonna make an effort in telling me why you did it, I give up. Why try to help someone if they don't want to be helped."

With that the boy left the girl in her own thoughts.