EIGHT

Poppy barely slept last night. Not after her weird conversation with Riven. She just couldn't stop thinking about it.

She tried her best to convince herself what she did was the right thing to do. But was it? She knew breaking up with the boy over text was a dick move, but she couldn't think of a better way to do it. She couldn't bear to see his hurt face if she told him in person.

During summer break, the girl distracted herself with learning new fighting tricks, reading, cooking, really anything someone could think of but yet her mind always drifted to the green blue eyed boy. She couldn't help it. He was her first love. But their relationship was a recipe for disaster to begin with.

Never date your brother's best friend was a saying she should have listened but didn't. Then it would have saved a whole hell lot of her time. But her annoying, stubborn conscience told her that Riven was her friend first. So technically it wasn't all her fault. 

"I'm just saying someone that hot shouldn't be kept away from me." Freya said as the two walked over to the platform.

"He's a first year." Poppy said.

"He's hot."

Poppy rolled her eyes. "Why can't you just find one person, one genuine person that you can commit to?"

"Why when there are so many options?" Freya argued. 

"I can't with you sometimes."

Freya shrugged. "I'm 17. Commitment is just not for me."

Poppy shook her head. All she could do was laugh at her friend's comment. "Yikes." Poppy said, seeing her brother fall, sparring with a first year. "Even our grandma can fight better than that."

"You don't even know who your grandma is." Freya pointed out.

"Yeah that's my point." Poppy shrugged. She walked up, standing next to someone she remembered meeting at the party. "Dane right?"

"Yeah I'm Dane." The girl saw him gulp. He was definitely nervous to see her. "Um... we met at the party and..."

Poppy chuckled at the nervous boy. "This is Freya."

"Pleasure to meet you." Freya said, sticking out her hand for the boy tot shake, which he did.

"Nice to meet you too." Dane stuttered. "Wow you're pretty too." He wondered why such two pretty girls were talking to him. Maybe they liked him?

Freya chuckled. She was loving it. "Why thank you Dane."

Poppy rolled her eyes as her best friend love the attention the boy was giving her. It boosted her ego way too much. "You want up?" Poppy asked as she jumped up to the platform, the younger boy following. "Let me remind you, just cause you're a first year..." Poppy punched the boy, which he failed to dodge. "I'm not going easy. Because..." She elbow strikes him and kicks the back of his leg causing the boy to groan and fall. "Expect..." She hooked her leg to his head and flipped them over until she had him in a headlock. "The unexpected." The girl didn't let the boy go yet. She wasn't even applying much pressure but he was already crying in pain. "I saw you creeping on my insta last night."

"I..."

"Don't worry I won't tell anyone." Poppy released the boy. "Yet." The boy groaned and got up, slightly embarrassed he got beat by a girl. "Your stamina's weak. You lack predicting other people's moves."

"No I don't." Dane said.

"She's right." Riven injected himself into the conversation.

The girl rolled her eyes, sipping on her water. "Yes, being complemented by the great Riven is what I always wanted in life."

"Sounds like an accomplishment to me." Riven smirked. 

"Goodbye." The girl said walking away from the two boys. The more time she spent around Riven, the more she felt her feelings come back.