Part 19 - Uncovering Secrets

It was time for a new term. The 15 year old Marauders were waiting for Moony to join them at the Hogwarts Express. The next day was the day. It was a full moon. And the Marauders were prepared. After James finished his yearly ritual (asking Lily to go out with him) the Marauders returned back to the compartment, and James slid the door shut.

"Moony, we need to talk," Prongs told Remus.

"Yeah, sure. Sit down, James."

All of them said in a whispered unison, "We're gonna go with you to the Shrieking Shack tomorrow."

Remus was angry. He was a monster. How could his friends take it so lightly? Why were they always such laid back people? He shouted at them, "What?! Are you mad? James, I'm a were-"

"-Stop yelling, you knobhead, do you want the whole world to know?" Eve interrupted.

"But you can't! Werewolves feed on humans!" Remus told in an angry whisper.

"That's the keyword, they feed on humans. Not animals," Pete told with a smile.

"What do you mean by 'animals?'" Realisation dawned on Remus' face.

"Please don't me you're unregistered-"

"-Animagi, yes, we're unregistered Animagi," Sirius finished.

"You guys are absolutely mad."

"You realise that now? Too late, Moony. We even made nicknames," James told him.

"So that's what they were for!"

Eve continued, "Hey. We wanna help you. And we know that we can. We became Animagi for you, and if you try and stop us from joining you at the Shrieking Shack, we'll just barge in anyway. We're not any simple domestic animals either. I mean, Sirius is a dog, but other than that-"

"So that's why you've been asking me whether I like dogs or stags better!" Remus told excitedly to Sirius, whose face looked red as a beet. He had been asking for weeks whether he'd be able to change his Animagus form.

"Well, you did say that you felt stags were better," Sirius said, hoping that Remus would have a change of heart and say dogs were better, just like Eve had when she found out that Sirius was not happy to be a dog.

"I'm not changing my statement. Who's the stag?"

"Oh, that would be James, and Pete's a rat, and I'm a white tigress," Eve informed.

"That is so cool. I'm really grateful you guys are willing to help me, and I know all of you are too stubborn to listen to me if I say no, so yeah, I'll let you join me at the Shrieking Shack tomorrow."

Sirius said, "Mission Impossible: A complete success!"

---------------------------------------------------------

The next day, The Marauders slipped into James' Invisibility Cloak and followed Moony as he went to the Shrieking Shack with Madam Pomfrey. As soon as she'd left Wormtail transormed into a rat, and scurried over to the trunk of the Willow. He touched the trunk of the Willow, and it stopped moving. Next, the rest of them transformed into their Animagus forms and went in, too.

The Shrieking Shack was an odd sort of place. There were scratches all over the place. It was Moony who had scratched them in a fit of fury in his werewolf form. As the full moon shone over the Shack, Remus flinched a bit. And then he began to transform. There was a terrible snarling noise. Remus' head was lengthening. So was his body. His shoulders were hunching. Hair was sprouting visibly on his face and hands, which were curling into clawed paws. The four animals just stood en garde as their friend transformed right in front of them.

He had transformed completely. The werewolf was whining now. Or perhaps growling. Or both. His face snapped towards his four friends and all of them took a step back to give Remus a bit of space. The wolf turned it's head back and started scratching the furniture in the house, and when he got bored of that, he began to hurt himself. The Marauders couldn't look at what Remus was doing.

Eve and James first took steps towards the wolf, being the largest animals of the lot. The wolf tried to attack Prongs, sensing the new animal too close to him. Tora pounced on the wolf and roared right at his face, and the wolf trembled under the sound. She got off him and Padfoot snuggled his face under Moony's as a way of showing that he wasn't there to hurt the wolf. The rest of the group followed, and the wolf's body relaxed a great deal. Padfoot began to start chasing his tail to entertain the wolf and the others, and Tora made sure that the wolf didn't attack anyone else. 

As the new day dawned, Remus turned back into his old form. His face held lesser scars and scratches, and he looked a tinge better than how he'd usually look after a full moon. He looked around at the four animals that were next to him, and smiled ever so lightly. He watched as the animals turned into humans, or to be specific, his best friends. All of them looked like they could drop down on the floor and fall asleep on the spot. However, they grinned at him. James had a few slight scratches on his arm, and Eve had a single scar on her wrist. Sirius and Peter had one scratch each.

"We still have hours until the next class starts," Eve said looking at her watch, "are there any spare beds here or have you already torn them out too?"

"I think there's one upstairs-"

Before Remus could complete the sentence, the Marauders had already run up the stairs and landed on a slightly dusty bed and already fallen into a deep sleep, leaving only enough space for Moony, should he want to join. Remus only shook his head at his friends, and enchanted Eve's watch to act as an alarm before he went to bed. He took one look at them, before he fell asleep. Wormtail was cuddled up in a fetal position. James was sleeping with his hands behind his head. Eve was hugging Sirius (she and Sirius had told everyone that they couldn't sleep without hugging a pillow) and Sirius, her. Maybe they would fancy each other someday.

He then landed on the bed, and thought about the night that had passed. It was the first time that he'd actually been happy on the night of the full moon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Does Remus know? I don't know. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.