Chapter 8 - Friends or Feelings?

NOTE: Y/N's magical ability is to enhance. (Ex: they can enhance their reading speed.)

Suggested by: mmmmmmmmmdontcare

I cupped my cheek. A kiss??

As I ran to help Antonio with his birds, I saw Camilo looking at me with his signature smug expression. I know I haven't been here for long, but I know what he's thinking.

He walked over to Antonio and I, smug face and all. "So, you and her?"

"Camilo!" I whispered loudly as I put my hands around his mouth. "Shh, she's right there!"

"Well wehn shu gonn ashk her? (Well when you gonna ask her?)" He asked through the cage of hands covering his mouth.

I took my hands off of his freckled face. "I.. don't know. I haven't thought of that."

"Well you should." He rubbed his cheek. "Looks like she likes you, too."

"What if she doesn't? What if she's just being nice because she thinks of me as a friend?"

Camilo stood up straight (for once) and smoothed his rauna. "Dude, chill. I'm one of her closest cousins, I think I would know."

I looked straight at him. "Camilo, what do you know about dating? You're almost 16 and still haven't dated according to Dolores."

"I know that not telling her isn't the best way to tell her." He rolled his eyes.

Antonio tugged on my sleeve. "Y/N? What's Camilo talking about?"

"It's nothing, Antonio." I pat his head as I walked over to Agustín to help with his bee stings while Julieta was busy.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. This must be so much pressu- AY!" Agustín exclaimed in pain as I put ointment on his stings.

"It's no problem at all."

Julieta picked up a crate. "Thank you for helping, Y/N."

"Like I said, it's no problem." I smiled.

"Cariño!" I heard from behind me.

"Mom?"

"Y/N! I just heard about the Casita. Are you alright?" She hugged me tightly, my dad not soon afterwards.

"I'm fine, mamá." I chuckled as I hugged back.

"We found out when the town found out, so.." Dad gestured behind me.

I looked. The whole town was rounded up.

"We wanna help." A woman said.

"We have no gifts, but we are many."

I smiled. "Well, then let's get moving!"

I watched as the whole town gave a helping hand. A kid chugged down a cup of coffee and went at some nails while I put down bricks with butterfly-shaped holes. I saw someone in the corner of my eye. Mirabel?

Mirabel walked through a doorway to some big muscular guy. Who was he? I ran behind a donkey to go see.

"Hey, Mariano, why so blue?"

He looked into the distance. "I just have so much love inside."

"You know, I've got this cousin, too." She grabbed his hands. "Have you met Dolores?"

Dolores popped out of nowhere!

"Okay, I'll take it from here. Goodbye!" She pushed Mirabel to the side.

She quickly ran behind a donkey, the same one I was behind, to eavesdrop.

For some reason, I heard two voices. "Y/N?"

"Oh, Isabela, Mirabel, hey!" I waved awkwardly.

Isabela raised an eyebrow. "Why were you..? Never mind."

Dolores grabbed Mariano's hands. "You talk so loud, you take care of your mother and you make her proud, you write your own poetry every night when you go to sleep, and I'm seizing the moment, so would you wake up a notice me?"

"Dolores, I see you."

"And I hear you!"

"YES!" All three of us shouted as we gave each other high fives.

"Let's get married." Mariano said.

"Slow down." Dolores laughed.

We stepped from behind the donkey.

"So why were you over there?" Mirabel asked as we walked towards the entrance.

End of chapter. Make sure to stay tuned for the next one!

 Make sure to stay tuned for the next one!

WORD COUNT: 631 words