Chapter : 44

The Deepest Scar.

It has been a while she has been awake. She felt him wiping her tears many a times. She felt his warm fingers touching her face more than once. She saw the grey pair of eyes that exuded raw concern for her. She kept seeing those for so many months. Every time she looked at them she couldn't relate it to his harsh character.

Now, she knows how wrong she has been all the while. Now she knows, this man can do anything but hurting her is next to impossible for him. She is mature enough to recognize his emotions towards her and she knows ignoring them will give him nothing but another deep scar. A scar that won't be visible from outside but will have the potential to become the deepest and scariest amongst all of his scars.

Even though he doesn't know how to name his emotions, she knew it since a long time now. No matter how many times she tried to make herself believe that she was wrong, no matter how many times she dared to admit the truth, tonight she's failing to convince herself.

He loves her.

She opens her eyes. They fall on the clock, hanging from the wall. It's 3AM in the morning and the man keeps stroking her hairs, although one can easily tell that he is tired and struggling to keep himself awake.

Her head keeps aching, but that's not her concern anymore. She feels his fingers pausing. He is looking down at her. She looks backwards into his eyes.

"What's happening? Do you need water?" He asks urgently and extends his hand towards the bedside table but gets stopped. A hand, softer and leaner than his, clutches around his forearm. His eyes immediately snap back to the warm and affectionate light brown eyes. She tries to sit up but fails on her first try.

"Don't. I am here. Let me take you to the washroom." His deep voice says holding her head into his hands.

"I don't want to go to the washroom." She says trying to sit up once again.

"Then stop doing this! You're not strong enough Sudha." He urges furrowing his eyebrows. But she simply ignores him and shifts to the other side of the bed and before he could respond she is lying back to the bed again. He releases a breath of relief.

And then it happens. She slowly turns to him locking his eyes with hers, as her left hand pats the empty space on the bed, gesturing him to lie down. And she sees how he visibly stiffens, how he stops breathing, how his eyes immediately moves to everywhere but hers.

"Come here, sleep." She utters the words through her low and hoarse voice making him finally look at her.

"I-I don't need to lie down. I am not sleepy." He says.

"Hmm, that I know. But I want you to lie down, that'll give me peace. You can go back to your room and do the same, but I know you won't. So...." She says patting on the same spot again.

"Come." She whispers once again. And when he doesn't move for another few seconds, releasing a sigh she grasps his arm and tugs him forward. His intense gaze meets her and she clearly notices how hard he is trying to break the wall he has built around him as he cautiously lies down beside her keeping his eyes glued to hers. As if searching for anything that'll give him the slightest idea that she's not comfortable.

Finally, he lies down beside her at a little distance, folding his left arm and placing his head on it but he keeps his eyes wide open.

"Close your eyes Danuj. Try to sleep." Vasudha urges him. He gulps but then biting on his lower lip he does as he is told, hesitantly.

She keeps looking at his face and notices how even while he tries to sleep, his postures seem weirdly alert. She moves her hand beside her pillow, searching for something and then she finds it. Her red MP3 player.