eleven

eleven
of fabric

"Arabella, my dear," came the soft voice of Violet Bridgerton who gave a gentle knock on her door. Arabella responded with a simple invitation and  Violet opened the door to see the girl embroidering while sitting on the light blue armchair that faced the window, a cool breeze entering the room as the window sat partially opened.

"Eloise and I are travelling to see the Modiste, perhaps you would like to come?" Violet asked. 

"Of course," She said, Violet turned around and lead Arabella down the stairs and toward the foyer. 

"Eloise," Violet called out.

"Oh heavens mother, should we have to go to the Modiste today?" Eloise groaned and slouched against the back of light blue printed chair. 

"Eloise," Violet scolded, "Get up," she gently patted Eloise with her fan, encouraging the girl to stand up properly. 

With another groan, Eloise put down the pad and paper she was writing with and walked beside her mother. 

The three women walked out the front door, Arabella lifted her gown as cement was wet due to continual rain throughout the last 2 days. As they entered the carriage, Eloise and Violet took a seat opposite to Arabella, who looked out the window. 

Viscount Brigderton opened the carriage door and gave a nod to his mother, "Alright if I accompany you to town? I have business of my own to attend to." Anthony asked his mother. 

"Of course, my dear," Violet responded, Anthony stepped into the carriage and took a seat beside Arabella, who turned her head and gave a small smile to the gentlemen. 

Anthony gave her a nod and looked forward at his mother, who was talking about the new coloured fabrics Madame Delacroix said she was receiving a shipment off. Eloise turned her head to the carriage window and through the corner of her eye she witnessed Anthony turn his head from their mothers words and glance at Arabella for a few seconds before returning her attention her mother. 

Eloise watched as he did it once more, this time he looked at her dress. Arabella then turned her head and met eyes with the Viscount who made no effort to smile at the girl, however Arabella gave a sheepish smile to the man and turned her head toward the window.

"Bloody hell," Eloise said, bringing a hand to her temple, using her fingers to rub her forehead. 

"Eloise!" Chastised Violet, "Such foul language,"

"Eloise," Anthony scolded.

"Sorry, sorry," Eloise said with a frown, defensively.

As they reached the town, the carriage came to a stop and James opened the door for the 4. Eloise and Violet stepped out first and then Anthony, Arabella grabbed her fan and held onto the side of the carriage and swiftly jumped down onto the floor. 

Linking Eloise's arm with her own the two girls walked ahead of Anthony and Violet and walked into the shop by themselves. They walked toward the left side of the shop where the fabrics were. Violet soon entered the shop and stood beside the girls, she touched the materials and examined the colours closely before asking whether the girls liked the colours or not. 

"Arabella, I do think this lavender would look exceptional on you," Violet said, handing the fabric to Arabella who looked at it for a moment before agreeing with the woman. 

Eloise chose a light blue colour, similar to the dresses she had at home, uncomfortable with the idea of trying something she wasn't used to, which was ironic considering her adventurous personality. 

Arabella placed the fabrics onto of the table and placed and order for the dresses. She then walked to the right side of the room and felt the material of dresses which had already been created. Arabella chose 2 dresses from that section, and placed them on the table beside the fabrics. 

"Ma Cheri, back again," she picked up the fabrics and gave Arabella a big smile, "The new selection? Beautiful,"

"Yes, I must agree," replied Violet as she turned toward the table and placed Eloise's fabrics and some fabric's for Hyacinth onto of the table beside Arabella's. 

"You're mother is doing well?," Madame Delacroix asked as she packaged the two dresses Arabella had chosen, she placed them into light blue coloured boxes and tied the ribbon around them. 

"Yes of course, Mama and Papa are visiting grandfather for a week, he is rather ill," Arabella replied sadly, Madame Delacroix placed a comforting hand on Arabella's shoulder. 

"I am sorry to hear that. The fabrics. Very different from your mother's choices" the lady said with an approving smile, however Arabella grew weary of her bold change in fashion. 

Arabella put the items on her tab and thank the lady, "Thank you, Madame Delacroix,"

"No need to thank me. They will be ready by Friday."

With a smile and a nod Arabella walked out of the shop holding her box and handed it to James who tied to the front of the carriage. Arabella stood outside the shop and waited patiently for Eloise and Violet to purchase their items. She tapped her foot lightly, not out of annoyance but rather habit. 

"Done already?" came a voice from beside her, Arabella gasped at the sudden noise and was surprised to see Viscount Bridgerton standing in front of her, a stack of papers in hand. 

"Yes," Arabella responded curtly, "Your mother and Eloise are still inside,"

"Of course," Anthony said, with a fond smile, "Find anything to your taste?". 

Anthony wasn't sure whether he was trying to be polite or was interested in what Arabella had to say. "I chose some fabric and a dress for tonight. Although I do not know if the colour is right," she pondered.

"Why choose the colour if you do not believe it is right?" he asked.

"Normally, my mother decides on the colours," she replied. 

"Did you choose a colour you enjoy?" Anthony asked. Before Arabella could answer Anthony he took a step away from the girl when he saw Eloise and Violet walk out the shop, boxes in hand. 

"Ready to go?" He asked the 3 women as they stepped into the carriage.