Chapter 40: A Compromise

Ever since that day happened, when the duke and the duchess engaged in a passionate session one bright morning, Duke Calex had been running around and kept being busy.

And of course, when the master was busy, so were his subordinates. Thus, Sebas and Estian were dragged into the bustling schedule and activities of Duke Calex.

Inside the duke's study room.

"Your Grace, I hate to ask this, but could we have a day off? Just one day will do. No, even just half will do!" Sebas said with his bloodshot eyes.

Duke Calex looked up from a pile of papers in front of him. He saw the grumbling Sebas and Estian, though as quiet as always, he could see the same sentiment in his eyes. After all, they had been working non stop these days.

Sebas and Estian were already anticipating what the duke had to say. The still silence in the air as the duke stared at them gave them both hope and anxiety.

The silence remained for a few minutes until Duke Calex spoke.

"Can't you just use your power to re-energize yourselves?" Duke Calex blurted.

Sebas almost passed out upon hearing his words while Estian could only cough.

"Your Grace! Please have mercy! With my body and mind exhausted, do you think this humble servant of yours is a powerhouse? I'm no such person! Let me catch a wink first!" Sebas growled in sarcasm.

Duke Calex turned to Estian, and Estian knew that the entire outcome would depend on him.

Thus, Estian said, "Your Grace, Sebas and I - no, all of us should take a rest. If not for a day, just for half a day will do."

Duke Calex turned his back from them as he faced the windows and his gaze met his own. He noticed that stubble had grown on his impeccable face due to a few days of working nonstop. And for the first time ever, Duke Calex became conscious of his own appearance. His brows furrowed upon it.

Looks like we really need to take a rest...
Duke Calex thought.

He simply needed to freshen up.

After all, now that he was aware of his attraction towards Atallie, he became conscious of some other things as well. Now, he had to maintain his neat appearance and be clean and presentable as much as possible so as to impress his wife.

Besides, it had been days since they last had a good meal with each other.

Duke Calex, after burying himself for days with all the things that needed to be taken care of, just realized how he suddenly missed Atallie.

His deep and dark cold eyes suddenly had a different glint on them. His thoughts flashed back to that morning when their lips were locked onto each other.

Thinking about it, Duke Calex felt something warming from deep within him.

The unknown desire from deep within sprung up once again.

He needed to see her.

He wanted to.

And with that, Duke Calex wordlessly walked out from the study room.

Sebas and Estian were a bit dumbfounded. The duke left them just like that.

Estian snapped back sooner than Sebas who was still gawking at the sudden action of the duke.

"Cough. I believe His Grace has agreed on our request. We can rest for now," said Estian.

Sebas snapped back to reality upon hearing the word rest. With that, he quickly stood up and exclaimed. "My goodness! Finally! I gotta go now!"