Chapter 7

The group of boys was covered in blood.

Two emotions: relief and horror.

Relief because none of the descendants were actually injured. Horror, because something like that had never happened to me before.

Twenty or thirty birds had fallen from the sky and were now lying lifeless on the ground.

Some had hit the guys and dyed their clothes red. I quickly grabbed Fortuna's hand and pulled her away from there with me.

"Let's get out of here," I said impatiently, almost crushing her hand.

"What was that? What happened?" She asked and I looked into her big eyes. She was so confused that I could easily pull her away with me.

But as for her question, I had no idea myself. In fact, I haven't been able to end life on my own yet. Only my father could do that, and if so, then only when it was absolutely necessary.

After all, my mother was the opposing force and would not normally allow life to end unnaturally.

I was getting more and more nervous. Since I went to this school, nothing good happened.

My father and mother must have noticed that I had ended the lives of sentient beings.

Even if it was just birds.

"Surely that was another prank by Samael. Although I have no idea how he managed it."

I stopped abruptly.

We were now far enough away from the boys so we didn't hear their whining anymore.

"He's one of the descendants of the time. He's the youngest of three brothers and the future. However, his fate is not as fixed as ours. Time is a strange thing anyway.

He can also influence the present and his brothers see visions of the future. Either way, all of them are powerful creatures.

But by knowing what's happening, Samael is constantly trying to sabotage the day-to-day life of the school here."

Samael.

The name triggered something in my head, it clawed its way into my memory and dug deep there.

A voice spoke up in my inner self, sending me a warning. "Someone said my name?" I suddenly heard a deep voice.

My head snapped in the direction it had come from. A boy leaned against the wall of the school building and crossed his arms.

It was like I had an Enlightenment, like a light switch that went on in my brain and finally showed me reality.

He was the one watching me all the time. I don't know how I knew. There was no evidence or anything. I just knew.

"If you think I'll be intimidated by your stare, forget it. You can't scare me off that easily", he said.

I bit my tongue, caught. He smiled and gleaming white teeth flashed at me. But his green eyes told me the smile wasn't being nice. Something flashed in them that I couldn't quite interpret.

"Let's go," Fortuna said this time. She tried to pull me with her, but I didn't move.

His gaze held me captive. His tall figure cast a shadow over me that like a prison prevented my body from going any further.

"I've been waiting for us to meet," he said, completely ignoring Fortuna's attempts to get me away from there.

"Why?" I asked, looking up at him confused. A fear spread in me. Did he know who I was? After all, according to Fortuna, he could see the future. What if he told everyone now that I was a descendant of death?

At that moment, Fortuna's brother came running and stood in front of us angrily.

He was like a puffing bull that would attack at any moment. "What the heck was that Samael? I just bought the clothes yesterday and now they're ruined."

Samael smiled wryly and walked towards him. While he passed me, he got very close and his smell crept into my nostrils.

It reminded me of a forest after the rain and I didn't want that beautiful smell to leave me again.

"I didn't like your clothes," Samael said as he positioned himself in front of Fortuna's brother. This one was a bit shorter than Samael and thinner.

He tried not to let it show, but it made him uncomfortable. "You'll buy me a new shirt!" he finally said. I could only see Samael's broad back, but I could imagine his eerie look.

"Oh?" he asked and I saw the offspring of misfortune tremble.

"Is that a threat?" he continued, "if I'm able to drop birds from the sky, do you think it's such a good idea to threaten me?"

We all knew the answer to that. Though I wondered why Samael was covering for me. Or maybe my mishap was just convenient for him to radiate greater power?

"Mark, let it be!" Fortuna interfered.

Mark.

That was probably the name of her brother. "Yes, Mark, let it be", Samael aped. It sounded ironic and could have even been funny if his deep voice didn't make it so spooky.

Luckily I was used to characters like him. In the underworld I had already met beings that followed me into this world, in my dreams.

Some creatures were so evil that even my father was afraid of them.

Samael was definitely not one of those creatures. At least I assumed so...hoped so...

Mark gritted his teeth loudly and clenched his hands into fists. "Okay, but next time I won't let you get away!" he yelled angrily and turned around quickly.

It was clear that he had to control himself not to run away. "Sure," Samael snorted contemptuously.

He watched as Mark ran to his group and excitedly joined them. I wondered why they hadn't come with him. So loyalty wasn't exactly something to expect from them.

"And now to you ladies," Samael finally said and turned to us. He ran his hand through his dark brown hair and then grinned at me.

"I am happy that you're finally here." He crossed his arms behind his back and let his gaze wander over my questioning face.

"I am Samael, the descendant of time." He elegantly pulled out one hand and held it out to me. As he did so, he kept his eyes on me.

But I wasn't intimidated by his behavior. Instead I held out my hand too and shook his briefly. It was extremely warm and I wondered why he didn't balk at my coldness.

As a descendant of death my whole skin was freezing cold. Normally this helped intimidate those around me.

But it didn't seem to affect him.

He slipped his hand behind his back again. "I've been expecting you. Nice to meet someone with your destiny."

My heart skipped a beat and was then racing like I was about to sprint.

He knew it.

He knew it.

He knew it.

I should have reacted earlier. I should have gotten Fortuna out of here before he revealed my secret.
But it was too late.

"It's an honor to finally meet
the descendant of death. "