CHAPTER 11

I could not explain the situation to my father and mother, so I just wrote down the story that I would be going on a trip for a while before putting down my pen.

Finally, after checking the contents of the letter one more time, I placed it on the side table.

Lily, who had been watching me nervously, could not stand it anymore and spoke to me.

“Young Lady, where are you going at night like this?”

“I don’t know, I don’t have a destination. I’ll think about it as I go. For now, I think it’s okay as long as it’s not Aren.”

“What do you mean by that?”

I pretended to not notice Lily, who was gradually raising her voice at the absurdity, and poured out the jewelry in the jewelry box into my bag.

“Oh, Lily. Do you have any cash?”

“Yes…?”

“I’m not just asking for it. I’ll pay you back later when I get back from my trip.”

“….”

“If you don’t have any, just lend me one gold—no, just lend me everything you have.”

If the trip was going to be longer than I expected, I would have to sell all the pieces of jewelry I had though I thought it would be better to at least have some cash for tonight.

After all, an aristocratic woman who wanted to sell jewelry at night was likely to be in and out of people’s mouths.

Since it was a sudden departure at night to avoid Cain, it was also necessary to avoid being noticed by others as much as possible.

“Do you have cash?”

I glanced at Lily, who was bewildered, and asked again carefully.

She blinked her eyes for a moment as though she was organizing her thoughts, then spread her palms out in front of me and stuttered her words.

“Wai, wait a minute! Does the Young Lady mean you’re going on a trip alone when you don’t even know where you’re going?”

“Of course, that was what I’m thinking…”

“Also, at this night where the Count and Countess aren’t even here? Why tonight, Young Lady?”

“…It sounds strange to say it like that, but it’s because I’m in a bit of a hurry—”

“Never.”

It was the first time I had seen her determined face like this.

Lily stood in front of me with her arms outstretched and blocked my steps before continuing her words with a lot of strength in her eyes.

“It hasn’t been long since the Young Lady has been healthy, but you can’t go on a trip without telling anyone like this.”

“….”

“I don’t know why this is happening, though how surprised both His and Her Excellency would be when they return later, and the Young Lady’s suddenly going away on a trip like this.”

When I saw Lily’s reaction, I immediately wondered if I was overdoing it.

In fact, as Cain said, he just wanted to talk… Maybe, I was too scared to run away like this?

Come to think about it, the life of a fugitive would not be that easy. Also, if I suddenly leave like this, my parents would be worried, as Lily said.

Moreover, above all, when I thought of a warm room, a soft bed, and delicious food that would be served just in time, my hand that took the clothes slowed down.

After all, I wonder if I should just talk about this for a moment and think. I unconsciously put my hand to my mouth at the compromise that came to mind.

It was a habit, so I quickly clenched my fingernails, though my right hand, which Cain had held, exuded the subtle scent of wood.

〈 If the Young Lady doesn’t come to the Grand Duchy’s residence tomorrow morning, I won’t hesitate to kidnap you. 〉

However, when I remembered his low-pitched voice, I came to my senses.

“No, I have to go. I must leave today, no matter what.”

“Young Lady!”

“My father and mother will understand my situation later, too. Anyway, I really can’t stay here for a while.”

Yes. Obviously, filial piety was possible only if I was alive. What if the daughter, who barely got up after her illness, died after being involved with the Grand Duke…?

That would be what a bad daughter is—!

“Okay. I see. I understand what the Young Lady is thinking.”

“Thank you for understanding…”

“So, if you really have to go, then I’ll go as well.”

“…What?”

“If you don’t go with me, I won’t lend the Young Lady any money. And, I won’t give you a carriage.”

“….”

“No, I’m going to tell the butler that the Young Lady’s running away so she won’t be able to even dream about a night out or even drinking!”

I was speechless by an unexpected disturbance.

Meanwhile, Lily clasped her hands and opened her mouth towards me again, who was muttering in embarrassment.

“So, choose.”

“….”

“Will the Young Lady take me, or will you just give up?”