PROLOGUE

A girl and a guy stood at the edge of a cliff, looking down at the looming view before them. The waves crashes into the rocks beneath them, an image of power and a promise of danger for the one who dared to jump.

The guy looked to his left, taking in his companion. Her delicate features were taunt with worry and fear as she looked downwards. He found her fear amusing. Didn't she realise he would not let anything happen to her? 

"Scared?" He proposed the question in a teasing voice. 

She didn't spare him a glance. "Yes."

The sand they stood on tickled his feet as he shuffled forward, watching the sea below them. He expected a surge of fear, or at least wariness to arise within him. But he rarely felt those emotions around her. 

"Give me your hand." He demanded and she complied. The warmth of his touch eased some of the tension in her body, but not all.

He directed her gaze to his. Their eyes met and he stared at her in earnest. "Do you trust me?"

Her response was without hesitation. "No."

A smile tugged at his lips and he shrugged, admiring her warm brown eyes. She was so beautiful. "Trust is overrated anyway." 

The girl was tugged closer to the edge and told to take a deep breath.

Then they jumped.