Chapter 56 - herbalist

- Third POV -

A group of archers are practicing their archery in a Fire Nation fortress. One of the archers draws his bow and releases three times in succession, sharply and accurately. Colonel Shinu and Zhao are standing on the balcony, watching them train.

"Absolutely not! The Yuyan Archers stay here. Your request is denied, Zhao" Scoffs the Colonel.

"Colonel Shinu, please reconsider...their precision is legendary. The Yuyan can pin a fly to a tree from one hundred yards away, without killing it. You're wasting their talents using them as mere security guards" States Zhao frustrated.

"I can do whatever I want with their talents, they're my archers, and what I say goes" Replies Colonel Shinu.

"But my search for the Avatar is-" Zhao gets cut off by Shinu.

"Is nothing but a vanity project! We're fighting a real war here, and I need every man I've got, commander" Argues Shinu angrily.

"But-" Zhao gets cut off once again.

"That's final! I don't wanna hear another word about it!" Shouts Shinu as he pokes Zhao's chest aggresively. Suddenly, the cry of a messenger hawk is heard, the hawk lands onto the balcony next to Shinu. The colonel opens the container on the hawk's back and reads the message inside with a puzzled expression.

"News from Fire Lord Ozai?" Asks Zhao curiously as he takes the message, rudely brushing past the Colonel as he reads the news.

"It appears I've been promoted to admiral. My request is now an order" Says Zhao as he smiles smugly. Colonel Shinu bows respectfully before leaving with a scowl on his face. Zhao watches the archers practicing, fully unaware of the mysterious figure with a blue mask on the rooftop, who had been listening to his entire conversation with the Colonel.

❀❀❀

Sokka is lying against Appa, huddled in his sleeping bag. He's coughing and there's visible sweat on his face.

"This should bring your fever down" Says Katara calmly while pressing a wet rag onto Sokka's forehead.

"You know what I love about Appa the most? His sense of humor" Chuckles Sokka.

"That's nice, I'll tell him" Mumbles Katara while Appa growls. Sokka starts to laugh.

"Classic Appa" Compliments Sokka, much to Katara's confusion.

"How's Sokka doing?" Asks Aang.

"Not so good, being out in that storm really did a number on him" Replies Katara upset while Sokka starts sneezing.

"I couldn't find any ginger root for the tea, and Mizuki's trying to find some mushrooms. Not sure why. But, I found a map! There's an herbalist institue on top of that mountain. We could probably find a cure for Sokka there" Informs Aang.

"Aang, he's in no condition for travel. Sokka just needs more rest. I'm sure he'll be better by tomorrow" States Katara. Suddenly, she starts to cough.

"Not you too!" Exclaims Aang worriedly.

"Relax, it was just a little cough. I'm fi-" Katara coughs again, this time with more force. Aang quickly shields his face.

"That's how Sokka started! Now look at him! He thinks he's an earthbender!" Complains Aang while pointing at Sokka, who's waving his arms around as if he's hitting something.

"Take that, you meanie!"

"A few more hours and you'll be talking nonsense too. I'm going to find some medicine!" Exclaims Aang before grabbing his glider. However, before he takes off, a flash of lightning strikes.