28 - ARC 3.8

Third P.O.V

Tonight was the night.

There were only two days left before their birthday and (Y/N) knew this was the right time to escape.

Over the past few days (Y/N) secretly put together a bag full of clothes and other necessities.

(Y/N) knew that security would only get tighter if they waited any longer.

So in the dark of the night (Y/N) snuck out of their room wearing a cloak and carrying their bag.

The palace was like a maze, but (Y/N) had been planning and perfecting this route for days, so it should work.

(Y/N) hid behind a corner at some footsteps.

"We're servants, why should we have to check on his fiancée?"

"His highness said that he was worried something might happen to his fiancée. So all we have to do is peek in the room and make sure they are there."

"Why couldn't a guard do it?"

"His highness must trust us more."

(Y/N) remained silent as the two servants pass. Then they picked up their pace to escape.

It won't be long till those servants report I'm missing, then Jack will know I tried to escape, then-

(Y/N)'s thoughts were cutoff by smacking into a very familiar someone.

"(Y/N)?"

"Nathaniel!"

(Y/N) shouts in surprise before lowering their voice.

"I need your help."

(Y/N) whispers.

"What do you need?"

Nathaniel whispers back.

"I'm trying to leave the palace without anyone knowing, can you help me?"

(Y/N) asks.

"Follow me, I know a quick way out."

Nathaniel leads (Y/N) to a wall where he presses something and the 'wall' opens.

"Quick, we don't have much time."

Nathaniel then leads (Y/N) to a set of stairs and down a long tunnel.

"How did you know about this?"

(Y/N) asks.

"My family has been working at the palace for a long time, and secrets get passed down."

The rest of the walk was quiet until the two reached a ladder that lead to a overhead door.

"If you follow that path you'll be home free."

Nathaniel said.

"Why don't you come with me?"

(Y/N) asks with hopeful eyes.

"I...  I can't."

Nathaniel said while looking at the ground.

"My mother is sick, we need a steady income."

"I understand."

(Y/N) says sadly.

"I hope we meet again."

"I hope so too."

Nathaniel responds.

Then the two parted ways, and (Y/N) had successfully escaped.

Author's Note: I wanted to bring Nathaniel along, but he has to take care of his mother.