Chapter 31: The Secret is Out

Y/n's POV:
Parts 60 and 61

"We've sort of done something." Fred muttered.

"What did you do Fred and George Weasley." I asked the two of them.

"We are becoming Animagus." Both the twins said with small yet proud smirks on their faces.

I didn't say anything for a while as shock ran though my body at their words. For some reason I couldn't process it, it was like something wasn't functioning properly because small and unrecognisable sounds escaped my mouth at their confession.

"Y/n?" Fred asked, his proud smirk fading to a more worried look.

"Why would you do that?" I stammered, looking between the two boys with a shocked and nervous look on my face.

"Because we wanted to." Fred smiled, staring into my eyes with a loving look.

"That's not a good enough reason." I sighed, rolling my eyes at the two boys as they sat staring at me.

"We spoke to Sirius and he said it really helped your dad." George responded, backing up his brother.

"I'm not sure you're remembering, we all know that my dads friends were idiots. You two didn't have to do this." I quipped at the two, a small but triumphant look in my eye.

"We thought you'd be happy." Fred said with a look of sight disappointment hidden within his words.

"No. But also yes. I don't want to hurt either of you because of this. Can't you stop the process?" I asked. Deep down I am so scared that something would go wrong and I'd hurt the twins because of this.

I don't want to put them through the pain of getting an injury from a werewolf, and the everlasting scar that it would leave. I'm scared that something would go wrong and I can't do anything to help it.

"You won't hurt us Y/n, we've researched, we can't become werewolves if we are in an animal form. And it's a bit to late to reverse the process." George added  as he pulled out a piece of parchment with notes that he and Fred wrote down about animagi, to be honest I'm impressed with the twins. They actually went to the library.

"And why is that?" I asked, referring to George saying that it was too late to turn back now.

"Because all we need to do now is drink the potion we made when there is a lightning storm." Fred said with a wide smile, holding my hand in his which he held tightly.

"We wanted to tell you sooner." George sighed, moving himself so he perched on the end of my bed. But a warm smile also illuminated his face.

I was aware of the process to become an animagus, the person had to keep a mandrake leaf in their moth for a month without swallowing from full moon to full moon. They had to make a potion out of it and drink it on a lightning storm. That's pretty much all I know about becoming an animagus, so I'm intrigued in wondering how the twins could have done it on their own.

"So that's why you both didn't eat much for a month, you didn't want to swallow the leaf!" I said loudly as everything seemed to click into place, that's why they didn't eat much at Hogwarts, because they had a mandrake leaf in their mouth!

"Exactly, we had already failed a couple of times, once because we accidentally swallowed it at a meal two days in, and George swallowed it in his sleep on our next attempt." Fred smiled.

"That's also why we seemed very tired. We didn't sleep much so we didn't swallow it in our sleep." George added in. "Third times a charm."

"How did you two manage to do it?" I asked the two, my face now joining their smiles.