Ch. 30 - I'm Sorry

A/N: Not proofread. 

Monet

"Loki?"

"Hm?"

"What am I to you?"

He stayed quiet. Oh God I should've lied. But, I mean, if I did lie then he would've been able to tell since he's apparently the God of Lies too. Then, he would've demanded an answer for me and even if I kept lying he would keep being able to tell And eventually I would have to tell him. Of course, not unless I just refused completely. He can't force an answer out of me or wait...can he? He is known for being the God of Mischief after all, who knows how far he'll go to get whatever information he wished. Well, hopefully not too far 'cause that would mean-

"Whatever could that mean?" Loki interrupted my rambling thoughts.

"I don't know," I said pulling myself out of his hold and sitting up right to look straight at him. I ruffled my hand though my hair stressfully and scoffed, "I don't even know why I asked that, sorry," and stood up once more to walk towards the door of his room. As my hand reached the handle and I was about to push it down, Loki grabbed my shoulder and spun me around.

"Yes you do know. Answer the question."

"Loki, please just let me-"

"Answer it," he continued to demand. I was right, he's gonna keep drilling on.

"If you are so insistent on knowing then you probably already do."

He opened his mouth slightly, but nothing came out. I shifted my gaze away from his eyes and onto his hand still resting on my shoulder, not being able to hold the awkward eye-contact. Remember when I said a while ago how eye-contact is weird? When not in the right situations, I still stand by that. I pushed his hand off of my shoulder and looked back at Loki - him seeming lost in thought.

"Loki?" He hummed in response and and raised his eyebrows, bringing him back into present time. "So?" He took in a shaky breath, as if preparing to say something, but again nothing came out. "Okay, look," I began, "I understand if whatever that's been happening between us is only an act of...boredom. Natasha is obviously not an option and, according to what I've put together from a few of our conversations, you wouldn't mind one of the guys either," he smirked at that, "but even so, I wouldn't think any of them are your style. And if one of them were to be I would place Tony as my bet but he's obviously taken too. Speaking of that," I say, beginning to get sidetracked, "wasn't Pepper supposed to come weeks ago? I've been dying to meet her. Wait no, don't answer that," I realise, "Stay on topic. Anyways, do you see what I'm getting at here?" He slowly nods, still not speaking a word. "Loki," I sigh out softly, looking downwards, "please just tell me."

He brought his finger under my chin and lifted my head to connect our eyes, finally speaking, but not saying what I wanted him to. "You tell me first."

I shook my head slowly and pushed on. "I asked first."

It was now his turn to look down in defeat. He dropped his hand to his side and kept his eyes pasted on the floor, as if there was something more interesting laying there than anywhere else in the room. By now, I already knew what was coming. "I'm sorry, Monet," he whispered regretfully. This was the first time I had ever heard Loki so vulnerable and it hurt - made me want to comfort him with his figure wrapped between my arms as I would whisper affirmations in his ear but alas I've realised, that is no longer possible. I've tricked my mind into thinking there was a chance it was possible even to begin with.

I took in what he said and felt a lump in my throat, swallowing deeply to hold it down. "I told you I would understand." With that, I spun myself around and opened the door to get out of his room before closing it and rushing to my own.