07

ON A NORMAL DAY, Lucia would not say she is prone to getting in serious trouble

ON A NORMAL DAY, Lucia would not say she is prone to getting in serious trouble. Occasionally going missing for a few hours, at worst a Plan Fifteen, is nothing new to anybody in the palace, but this, this is new. And very bad.

"While I may not be in a place to make any requests, I'm going to anyway," Lucia somehow manages to keep a steady tone while sharp, lethal iron glints in the late afternoon sun.

"Shut it, princess," the glinting iron shifts closer as the man scoffs and Lucia shuts her mouth in a snap, chills running down her back.

How exactly did she end up kidnapped and being held for ransom by five brutish men? Well, escape plan number thirty-five might be to blame here in some respect, but she's not going to admit it.

Lucia sighs, slumping in her seat as much as the ropes allow for. It is a matter of patience when playing hostage, but it's never been Lucia's strong suit, something she is forced to recognize as the late afternoon sun turns to early evening. Lucia can't help but feel terribly cold and scared and impatient to see her sisters and Seokjin again as swords pass by her vision as a constant reminder of where she isn't.

She is only comforted by the dangling yellow gems in her earrings that glow gently under the sunlight. For once, she thanks Tova's tendency to prepare for the worst. Even when it seems like a bit much.

"Boys, I am going to have to be honest. I am not meant to sit still this long, dear goodness, please. I won't escape, I just need to stand," Lucia whines, flopping back in her seat, knowing full well she's asking for trouble, but she's growing more panicked by the second as she grows colder and colder.

"We told you to stay quiet," iron glints once more and Lucia can barely make herself care as she jitters in place.

"Hours ago, I'm the runaway princess for a reason. I don't sit still and play nice forever."

To be honest, she really just wants to feel the warmth on her skin to remind herself that Jin is coming, to try and trick her brain into believing she is swept up into his arms again. Instead, she's stuck staring at this dumb, dingy, wood wall that couldn't even entertain the hungriest of termites.

When no one has the manners to answer her, she continues to beg, "just drop me in front of a window for goodness's sake."

Some grumbling and shifting later, she is blessed with some leniency and sunlight. The sun is soft as it pours through the open windows, gently holding her with a comforting touch. It is too late in the day to be greatly warmed by the sunlight, but it is appreciated nonetheless.

Lucia is sure they don't regret listening to her pleas when she begins drifting off, visions of obsidian and caramel and starry nights distracting her from reality.

The clamor of hooves in the distance is the second thing to startle her from her daydreaming; the first being the shouting between the brutes as they prepare for all hell to break loose. And Lucia understands their assumption. Holding royalty hostage is easily treason, and with Lucia's sisters? To say it is a death wish is an understatement.