Chapter Sixteen

Roxy sniffed around, trying to catch Monty's scent. It wasn't hard. He wore a LOT of river-scented cologne. The strong scent ended up leading her to his room. Loud crashes came from within. Figures. 

Roxy tried to open the door, but it was jammed or something. "Alright," she growled, taking a step back before running and kicking the door open. 
Actually, it was more of a kick-and-break rather than just kick-the-door-open-safely. "Eh, can be repaired," she shrugged and walked inside.

It was pitch black inside. Even with Roxy's superior eyesight, it was hard to see. "Gosh dang, Montgomery. Are you insane or something?"
Then, a growl came from behind her. She whipped around but there was nothing there. Another growl. Roxy froze, closing her eyes and straining her ears. There. Roxy lunged into the darkness but caught nothing.

She growled with frustration and stood up. She glanced at the door in front of her. Just then, without warning, something heavy landed on her, causing the both of them to slide out of the room. When the dim-as-heck lights shone on the figure's body, Roxy smiled. 

"Monty." 

Monty's sunglasses had fallen off, so you could see his threatening eyes. He dug his claws into Roxy's sides. "Don't make me do this, Monty," Roxy warned.
Monty just growled at her. Roxy narrowed her eyes and kicked him off, quickly getting to her feet. But he was quick too. 

Monty leaped at her, but Roxy dropped down to all fours, causing the gator to fly over her head and crash into the ground. Roxy pounced on him while keeping her eyes busy, trying to find a button. The two rolled and fought, to the point where Roxy felt like giving up hope. 

Monty landed on top of her, opening his jaws challengingly. Roxy huffed, tired, and scratched up. This annoyingly-good-at-fighting gator was tough. Then she saw it. In his mouth, there lay a button. 

Roxy smirked and grabbed Monty's snout, flinging him to the side. Roxy crawled up and pried his jaws open. Then she pushed the button inside. Monty suddenly went limp. Roxy carefully pushed it again and let herself fall to the ground beside him. 

She was exhausted. Roxy made herself sit up as soon as she heard a powering-up sound come from Monty. Suddenly, he snapped up and glanced around. He did a double-take at Roxy. She raised an eyebrow at him. 

"Roxy? Um, what just happened?" he asked, rubbing the back of his head.
"We just fought," she answered cooly.
"Why...? I told you I didn't take your-"
Roxy held a hand up as if to tell him to stop talking. "I need to tell you the whole story." 

This time, it was Monty's turn to raise an eyebrow at her. "Go on."