Chapter 30: the Regalia family

Click

Clack

Click

Clack

Sylvia's foot steps echoed as she descended down the stairs. The sound reverberating around the tunnel, bouncing all the way down before returning to her ears as a sharp, hard noise.

It was barely illuminated by the torches, and yet still they descended. Led by Zalla holding her own torch aloft, the group huddling close to her so that they would be able to see the next oncoming step. As they neared the bottom, Sylvia saw a literal light at the end of the tunnel, a brightness that shone through the dark.

Sylvia knew not how long she had been walking down those damn stairs, but it was long enough that her eyes had somewhat adjusted to the dark. Meaning the new light was too harsh on her eyes, forcing her to shield her eyes as she approached the last few steps.

"God my legs are sore," Dirella whined. Sylvia pondered the idea. Her legs aren't real, her real legs don't work. So, Dirella feels her mirage legs? If Dirella uses her mirage gem to make her legs, why didn't she just make them stronger? Can she make them however she likes, for example could she make her legs look like Darian's?

"Sylvia, Darian, so nice of you to join us," a vaguely familiar voice snapped Sylvia out of her odd tangent trail of thought. She shook her head, removing any images of Dirella's legs from it. She glanced up at the voice, to see a tall, blonde man standing before her.

He looked a little older than Sylvia, early thirties she would guess. His blonde hair flowed to his shoulders, neatly swept back out of his face to reveal his fair complexion. His brilliant blue eyes shone through the dimly lit room, captivating and awe inspiring.

Sylvia squinted her eyes, taking in the man. He was familiar, and she had once known his name. But she felt it had been many years since seeing him, in fact Sylvia had very little contact with the Hunter Sigil since her family died. A childhood friend, perhaps?

"James Regalia, it is an honour," Darian said, stepping forward to greet the man. He clasped his hand in his own, bowing deep as he shook it gently. James seemed pleased at this, before looking expectantly at Sylvia.

"Oh uh, yeah," she stumbled forward, caught somewhat off guard by the expectations placed on her all of a sudden. She roughly clasped his hand, her calloused one feeling crude in his smooth one. She then vigorously shook the man's hand, rattling him as his eyes boggled in his head. She then let go, and stepped back.

"My, quite the hand shake for such a small girl," James muttered, with a fake smile plastered on his face. She was starting to remember the man as a smug little shit from when they were children. James was part of the Regalia family, the family that had been in power of the Sigil since it's conception. He was a politician at heart, raised for the role from birth.

"Well, my dad always said a firm handshake means an honest character," Sylvia said with a smile. This caused James' face to flash with sorrow, his eyes widening and brow softening. It was gone in an instant, returning once more to a stoic expression. Sylvia was somewhat glad to know people still remembered her parents, even if that left her to still live in the shadow of their death.

"Yes well, please do come with me. My father has been eagerly awaiting your return," he said, turning to walk away. He had interlaced his hands behind his back, his chest open and standing tall and proud. His red robes dragged along the ground behind him, floating ever so slightly with his movement.

Sylvia glanced at Darian, who shrugged back. Taking it as an invitation to follow, the group did.

Sylvia began to take in her surroundings. It was a large cavern, with more of the man made brick work forming a neat semi circle. Just to her right, Sylvia saw the platform they were stood on dropped off. Peering over the edge on her tippy toes as she walked, Sylvia saw iron beams running parallel to once another, almost like cart tracks but... Bigger.

"And elf, what brings you here?" James said, his voice soft and regal. Sylvia had never met a hunter so poised, except maybe Darian. But even Darian still carried himself like a hunter, still had hard hands like a hunter. But not James. Even in his pajama like attire, he was still prettier than Sylvia on her best day.

"Oh. Research," Aliyah said simply. Sylvia glanced back, to see Aliyah staring at the walls with awe. Sylvia smiled. T'Halla was a combination of nature and construction, unifying the two. Whereas the Hunter Sigil Headquarters seemed to be a proverbial middle finger to nature, where humans do whatever the hell they want. It must be fascinating to an elf.

"Excellent, I suppose," James seemed to regard Aliyah with... Concern. The Hunters lost contact with the elves many years ago, mostly because the elves no longer wanted to work with the Hunters. Sylvia knew there had been some kind of falling out, however the specifics were vague, as is usually the case with the Sigil. She wondered what Aliyah's presence would do to the hunters who lived here, and if it would become an issue later down the track.

"And you... I don't think we have met either," James was directing this at Dirella. She seemed somewhat shocked, her eyes widening. Someone who didn't recognise her? Fascinating.

"Well, you were still young when I was here last. But I did work with your father a fair bit. I am Dirella," James froze, stopping dead in his tracks and causing everyone else to come to a halt. He turned around very slowly, to face her. His eyes wide open, mouth opening and closing like a guppy.

He fell to his knees, head bowed low and hands planted on the floor.

"I- I meant no disrespect!" James grovelled at Dirella's feet. She seemed somewhat uncomfortable at the situation, stepping away from him with an uneasy expression on her face.

"It's fine, honestly. I've been absent for... A while," she muttered under her breath, with a solemn expression. James blinked a few times, before realising he was making a fool of himself. He stood up promptly, dusting the dirt from his robes before standing up straight.

"Erhm well. I think we had best hurry. We wouldn't want to keep father waiting," James muttered. He went to turn to walk, before pausing as if he had remembered something.

"Oh, I hope you don't mind but weapons are not allowed in the Sigil," he said as he turned to give them all the side eye. His gaze was flicking between all of the various weapons between the four of them.

Sylvia hesitated for a moment, before sighing in defeat. She gently unsheathed her scimitars with a click, and handed them to Zalla who had her outstretched arms in front of her. Aliyah and Darian followed suit.

They were now completely vulnerable, but they would be safe here, right?