25

Heiran spent the night tossing and turning around in her bed and she managed to catch a total of three hours of sleep at the crack of dawn thanks to the alcohol in her system. But that wasn't enough and the sleep deprivation was giving her a smoky eye effect right under her eyes the following morning and also some complimentary eye bags as it were customary for sleep-deprived people. If Heiran thought Yoongi had looked sleep-deprived these days, she was even worse. She had given herself quite the scare when she looked at the bathroom mirror that morning.

Heiran hesitated just outside her office, biting down on her lips, wondering how the heck she was going to face the man on the other side of the door after he had thrown that bomb on her the other night. The doubtful part of her brain kept wondering if it was a confession he had made yesterday, while the rational part analyzed all facts came to the conclusion that it sort of was, but the emotional part of her still refused to believe it.

So there she was, reluctantly standing outside the office when Yoongi came and shoved her inside with a bunch of case files in his arms. "Move out of the way."

"Bish! You're asking for it!" Heiran cried, rubbing her throbbing backside as Yoongi nonchalantly dumped the files on top of their shared desk and walked off as if he had better things to do. It took a whole five seconds for her to realize that she was now inside the god-forsaken office room with a man she wanted to avoid, a.k.a the danger zone.

"Good morning, Ms. Ahn," the mellow voice of her partner seemed to rise from behind his laptop and Heiran flinched at the greeting before she managed to compose herself. "Morning, Mr. Jeon."

Cautiously, she walked up to her seat and plopped down, mentally hoping that he had forgotten all about yesterday when the said man suddenly asked, "Ms. Ahn, yesterday—"

"Yesterday? I don't know yesterday, I forgot everything that happened yesterday. I must have been quite drunk, haha."

Real smooth, Ahn Heiran. Real smooth.

Jungkook's narrowed eyes slowly drifted away from his laptop to her, an eyebrow raised and a tongue shoving at the inside of his cheek. "That's such a shame since I was hoping you could tell me where you kept file number 246 B yesterday."

"Oh," she blinked in surprise, "I remember that. It's right here." She fished out the file from under her desk and held it out to him with the phoniest smile she'd ever worn. Jungkook extended his hand and took the files from her, his fingertips brushing against her for a brief moment. Heiran quickly pulled back and cradled her finger against her chest as if his touch had burned her. Jungkook didn't seem like he noticed.

Clearing her throat awkwardly, she wondered what she was supposed to do. They were supposed to work on the mysterious note with numbers Jungkook had procured from his attacker and crack it but for that, Heiran had to initiate a conversation with him and she was sure as heck not ready for that.

Jungkook stretched his arms above his head, inhaling deep as his eyes stayed on the computer screen before he took off his glasses and crossed his arms over his chest, breathing out a heavy sigh. Heiran had to admire the view she had never really appreciated before. She had rarely seen him without his glasses before and without them, he looked gentler than his stony self, almost like a baby who was yet to reach his adolescence. He also had a mole on the bottom of his lips which she had never noticed before. Vaguely it reminded her of something.

"Do you have something to say?"

Heiran jumped in her seat and picked up the nearest thing she could find and pretended like she was reading it. "N-no?"

"You're holding it upside down, Ms. Ahn." He commented, not taking his eyes off the computer and Heiran winced in shame, turning the paper back the way it was supposed to be.