Chapter Four

Grayson's POV

The kids were missing. Ella, Jerry, and Theo. No one has seen them in hours, and they aren't anywhere in town. After I had noticed their disappearance, I went and found Aria and DJ, who also weren't aware of the kids' location.

So we went straight to Clay, and he had a group set up to search for them. So currently I was walking in the woods with DJ, Julian, and Colton. We were the first few to volunteer right away to go and search for them.

"You don't think they would've gone far right?" DJ asked with concern in his voice. "I mean they're smart enough to not adventure too far. Right?"

"I don't know," I responded as we continued walking, "They're kids, they can't help from adventuring far out…"

"They'll be fine," Colton reassures us all, "they might be kids, but they're smart enough to be careful like DJ said."

"Yeah but you know back at the camp they would venture off and get into trouble all the time, at least that's what you've said," Julian added, glancing at Colton. Colton frowned a bit at Julian's tone.

"I know I said that but they've learned since then," Colton argues, stopping and looking back at Julian.

Before a fight could start between the aggravated couple, I stood between them. "Let's not do this right now, we don't have time for this. It doesn't matter whether the kids were smart enough to not go far or not, what matters is that we find them."

They both sigh giving me an apologetic look before nodding in unison. I glanced at DJ, noticing his stiff shoulders as his back faced us. 

"Guys, I think we have more than the kids to worry about…" DJ spoke barely above a whisper. 

Before we could ask what was wrong, a twig snapped in front of DJ and then behind us. Two senseless stood in opposite directions from us. 

It had been quite a long time since I had seen a senseless, the town had made me almost forget about this reality. I frown as another twig snaps, and a new senseless starts approaching us.

DJ stood frozen in his spot, and for a moment it seemed like he wasn't even breathing. Though we hadn't seen them in a while, three senseless would be easy to take out, so I didn't understand his stance. Not until I was right behind him, a crowd of senseless were pushing through the trees.

I gulped nervously as I grabbed DJ's arm pulling him back. "Guys we got to go," I say as Julian and Colton gasp at the group of senseless. "We have to go," I repeat as I gesture to the only open direction for us to go.

Julian and Colton snap out of their trance and quickly lead us in that direction. DJ followed behind them, and I was in the back of our 4 member group. 

We ran through the woods, not stopping even when we were probably out of range. I glanced behind checking if maybe one or more of them followed us. Seeing nothing I turned back around, running straight into DJ's back. I fell onto my butt, with wide eyes, confused as to why they stopped. 

I stood hearing a loud constant crashing noise, and then my eyes landed on the large cliff in front of us and the waves smashing into each side. A large waterfall stood at the far end to our right.

"Holy crap…" DJ says to himself with wide eyes, "my dad always talks about this place, but I always thought he was exaggerating how epic it was… wait maybe they came here. My dad was talking to them about it the other day."

"That would make sense. This seems like a place they'd be curious about, " Colton says with a nod as he glanced from left to right along the cliff. 

"I think you might be right," Julian says as he gestured to a backpack that was next to a tree towards the right. We all walked towards the backpack, Julian reaching it first and picking it up. "This is Theo's, I think."