05.6

[act five; chapter six     -     automaton]

Mrs. O'Leary was the only one happy about the sleeping city.

They found her pigging out at an overturned hot-dog stand while the owner was curled up on the sidewalk, sucking his thumb. Andromeda patted her back as they walked by, "I love you, but that is disgusting."

Argus was waiting for them with his hundred eyes wide open. He didn't say anything. He never does. Andromeda guessed that's because he supposedly has an eyeball on his tongue. But his face made it clear he was freaking out.

They told him what they'd learned in Olympus, and how the gods would not be riding to the rescue. Argus rolled his eyes in disgust, which looked pretty psychedelic since it made his whole body swirl.

"You'd better get back to camp," Percy told him. "Guard it as best you can."

He pointed at him and raised his eyebrow quizzically.

"I'm staying," the boy said.

Argus nodded, like this answer satisfied him. He looked at Annabeth and drew a circle in the air with his finger.

"Yes," Annabeth agreed. "I think it's time."

"For what?" Both Percy and Andromeda asked at the same time.

Argus rummaged around in the back of his van. He brought out a bronze shield and passed it to Annabeth. It looked pretty much standard issue—the same kind of round shield they always used in capture the flag—that is, unless you were Andromeda Storm. But when Annabeth set it on the ground, the reflection on the polished metal changed from sky and buildings to the Statue of Liberty—which wasn't anywhere close to them.