Chapter 14 | Sadie

I looked at her, stunned. It looked as if someone had attempted to rip her arm out of its socket.

"Christian did this?" My bluntness even surprised me, although I didn't even have to ask.

I watched as Margot tried to regain the poised composure that I had grown accustomed to, but failed. "It's... it isn't what it looks like," she blurted out, wrenching her arm free from my grasp. "Are you incapable of minding your own business?"

"Margot, if he's hurting you-"

"You do not know what you're talking about!" she nearly screamed, causing me to take a step backwards. "You are out of your depth, Brooks." Her professional demeanor returned, and I felt her pulling away.

"Margot..." I began, but she was already walking away towards our place of work, leaving me behind in her wake.

~~~

Christian, Christian, Christian.

Nothing could explain the incredible hatred I felt towards a man I had never really met. Sitting at my desk a few minutes later, I could not stop picturing his hands on her. Hurting her. Along with all my anger there was another voice.

Why do you care? It asked. Why did I care so much? It was a mystery, even to me.

"Sadie? Sadie!" The voice of my coworker broke me out of my trance. "Is everything, alright?" Alexis asked, peering at me through her sepia glasses.

"Yes, yes," I replied quickly. "Just tired, that's all."

Alexis watched for a moment. "Want to take the rest of the day off?" she suggested. "To get some rest. Clear your mind." There was nothing I would love more. "The boss is out today," she explained. "Her daughter has an orchestra concert or something, and I'm no snitch."

I flashed her a wide smile. "Thank you so much!" I exclaimed, almost running up and giving her a big hug.

She put a manicured finger to her lips, and I proceeded to pack up the rest of my stuff in a much quieter manner. I gave her a grateful nod as I left our cubicle. I intended to head out then, leaving the office as soon as possible.

But my subconscious had other plans. I found myself walking towards Margot's desk, or was it the cubicle where we used to work together? I wasn't sure which.

What was wrong with me? I suddenly felt possessed. Margot regarded me as I approached her. The anger before had completely left her face, only a wary expression remaining.

"Hi," I said. Sometimes I wondered how I had such a way with words. What she said next completely took me by surprise.

"I'm sorry, Brooks." Margot apologized. "I had no right to yell at you. I know you were just making sure everything was okay."

I shrugged awkwardly. "It's fine," I replied quietly.

"I just want you to know everything is completely fine between Christian and I," she said. "We love each other very much. He cares about me more than anyone else ever could."

"That's not true," I said just above a whisper. Margot raised her eyebrows, the only indicator that she had heard me. "What I mean is that there are so many people out there that can love you the way Christian does, or even more maybe. You just need to be patient and keep looking."

"I'm done looking," Margot stated defiantly. "Unless you know anybody?" Her eyes bore into mine me as she waited for my response.

"I just moved to Chicago," I said quickly. "But when I do find someone I'll let you know."