Chapter 3: Antonio Summers

I cannot believe I forgot that she used to do that as a kid. Dakota was always thinking to herself way too long in conversations, random and usual thoughts running through her head but too slow where she couldn't keep up the conversation. 

It's gotten better since she was a kid, however, you can tell she still does it. I've been waiting for about fifteen seconds for her to answer my question. It's not that I mind, I don't, I honestly think it's quite cute. She can mask it in public too. 

For example, if she were talking to someone she doesn't know very well, she would only pause for maybe five seconds, so not that much. But with me, there were times I had to wait up to thirty seconds to speak again. 

It never bothered me, it just gave me more time to be with her. Something I desperately wanted as a kid.

I had a major crush on her, and seeing her now, those old feelings can't help but rush to me. She was my first love, whether she knew it or not. When she left, my heart was broken. It was so broken that I joined the military. 

I was lost without her, but I understand why she had to go. What happened to Dakota and her family here was something I'm surprised she survived. I'm even more astounded that she came back at all. It's hard for me to pass by her old childhood home, I can't imagine what she must feel.

The memories I have there are good, positive ones. Running around with her younger brothers, tormenting people for fun, and causing so much trouble I can't believe that I became a Navy SEAL. The military gave me the sense of discipline that I needed. 

With my parents having complications of their own and not paying much attention to me, I was able to do whatever I wanted, which in the long run wasn't that good of a thing. 

I remember when I used to go over to Dakota's house, I would steal all of her cookies that her parents left in the cabinet just for her, and she would run after me with that determined look on her face. 

All I wanted was for her to notice me.

I wasn't mean nor would I tease her often, but with her cookies and books especially, it was fun to make her mad. Usually, it was me waiting on her hand and foot to try to get a kiss on the cheek. That worked. Or we would go on walks together when her brothers weren't actively trying to give their parents a heart attack. 

When everything happened, that changed very quickly. Dakota was barely allowed outside the house, and I know her precious cookies were no longer in the cabinet. She was sixteen when she left, and I was eighteen when I left pretty much right after her. 

A lot of people thought I was going after her, but I had to find myself that wasn't dedicated to her.

It's weird though. We both somehow ended up back here. And my heart can't stop pounding in my chest.

"Are you sure you don't need a ride?"

She faces me, finally allowing me to stare into those beautiful dark gray eyes. I roll my lower lip into my mouth as I watch her think. Fuck, no wonder I was head over heels for her. 

She's one of the most gorgeous people on this planet, besides Chris Evans with no explanation needed. I would watch Marvel movies just for him, but I swear I like the storyline too. The plot.

"I guess it wouldn't hurt."

No, it wouldn't hurt at all.

"It'll be quick, I promise."

"Do you already know where I live?"

"The MC is good at knowing who's in town and who isn't."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"But no one is stalking you or anything. We are watchdogs for the town, we want to make sure everyone is safe."

"Well, I'm not here to hurt anyone."

Maybe not physically.

"I didn't think so."

"Do they know who I am?"

"They know your name and that we used to know each other. Nothing more than that."

"Thank you."

"You should get the chance to tell people about your past when you want. That was taken away from you fifteen years ago, and I'm not going to be the one to take it from you this time."

She takes a deep breath, slowly walking toward me with a somber look on her face. She rests one hand on my bare arm, and I can barely breathe for a second. Holy shit. She's touching me. Her pale pink skin upon the ebony color of my body. What should I do?

"Do you think we could revisit the past another day? I'm too exhausted to talk about it now."

"Yes, of course. I'll take you home."

Dakota doesn't even flinch when she hears the rumbling of the bike or when I ask her to climb on. Around here, that's not surprising, but she was timid as a child. Some of that seems to have fallen away. 

I take a deep breath, trying not to freak out as she wraps her arms around my waist. Bold, she's fucking bold...in a good way. I can feel the butterflies in my stomach, making me slightly queasy. She has no idea what she does to me.

The ride, though short, is exhilarating. I've never had a girl on the back of my motorcycle before. No wonder Alpha likes it. Especially when it's someone you care about. I had no idea that I could be so taken by someone and Dakota of all people. 

I know I loved her once, but that was years ago, and I don't get why I'm feeling this way now. That doesn't make much sense to me. Feelings can't last that long, can they?

I stop in front of her apartment building, feeling her body press against mine while she gets off the back of my motorcycle. She whispers a thank you to me, and without another word, she waves goodbye as she heads inside. 

I try not to squeal under my helmet, but I feel like a complete madman. I need some serious boy talk because they need to know about what just occurred. Especially Vegas, he'll freak out with me. Reaper probably won't enjoy the gossip, but he can relay the message to Fiona if they aren't too busy with their baby.

I turn my bike around, heading in the opposite direction as Dakota's apartment, and quickly end up at headquarters. We haven't been having many issues, territorial or otherwise, but it just feels like the calm before the storm. 

Hence, Alpha has us work overtime and make sure nothing around the area has happened. 

Now that he has a wife and two babies, he's always hypervigilant, so this is especially bad. I don't know how I feel about it. It's not like I have anyone waiting for me at home. Besides my cat who doesn't like me.

"Good evening, Poison."

"Hi, Tank."

"How was your ride?"

"You know, she was riding me."

"I highly doubt that."

"It was supposed to be a joke."

"It was horrible, which is why I'm not laughing."

"When I become the most famous stand-up comedian, you're going to be pissed that you weren't by my side."

"Maybe the most famous with your cat."

"Even though she hates me, you cannot tug Butter into this."

"It's a goddamn cat, Poison."

"You would be pissed if I dragged your goldfish into it."

"Yeah, because Rudy is innocent."

I throw my hands up in the air, the Rihanna song immediately coming to mind. Maybe I should tell Vegas about how mean Tank was being and see how he likes it then. No, that's too cruel. I'll just go around telling people that mean old Tank has an innocent goldfish named Rudy.