Chapter 48

We traveled through the woods together. The silence was slowly becoming deafening, and not a single mob was in sight. The further we pushed into the domain, the more twisted and corrupted the trees became. The foliage was caught in a state of decay yet was also blooming into new life. Never have I seen something like this, and I have ventured far and wide. I've fought in dozens of dungeons. Yet nothing could compare to something like this.

After an hour of walking, we approached a small wooden cabin with a single torch that hung outside its door. With relief, I rushed over to it. I was used to walking for hours on end, but there was just something about this place that exhausted me. Maybe it was just being alert nonstop and jumping at the smallest of sounds. But it was slowly beating me down. Alinore stared at the cabin as I drew my sword. Carter had his bow clasped firmly in his hand and had an arrow at the ready while Gunther spun his staff. Without having to speak, we fell into our usual breaching formation. Carter stood by the door, with Alinore directly beside him. Gunther stood at the other side, and me in front. I raised my hand and activated my totalis barrier skill. A small tessellated blue shield grew in the air in front of me and grew until it reached the size of a tower shield.

I didn't have too many axillary skills that didn't apply to my class. If it didn't involve dueling, I didn't want it. The only reason I had this skill was for the problems that the sharp end of my blade couldn't solve. I glanced towards Gunther before looking at the other two. Gunther stepped to the front with a nod, placed his hand in the door handle, and quickly pushed it open before he spun back to the side. Usually, we would kick it down, but we would prefer to keep the place intact if this was a safe zone. I stepped forward and placed the shield between me and whatever could be in front of us.

I pressed into the room with Alinore directly behind me. Her wand was at the ready, along with the magic that circled her. Carter, I already knew, had eyes on the room, his bow ready to release a flurry of arrows. I quickly scanned the foyer and saw that it was empty, just a minor groove on the floor that denoted a change in levels. The walls were polished and slotted into each other seamlessly, and a few lanterns lined the hall. I kept the pace up and traveled down the hallway and into the main living area. Which was empty as well, baring a small table and a few chairs. An oversized circular couch sat in front of a large fireplace, which was burning steadily. Between the kitchen and living area was a large carpet crafted in a circle and split into layers that flowed tightly between one another in a rugged display of browns and reds.

We cleared a few more bedrooms, and once we were sure that the cabin was clear, we collectively released a sigh of relief. This was far different from the rest of the safe zones we usually came across. More often than not, it was a cold circle on the ground that monsters sat right outside waiting for us to leave. But this was something far nicer than we could have ever hoped for or could even afford.."Dibs on the master bedroom," Carter spoke up as he grabbed Alinore's hand and dragged her off to a bedroom. I wouldn't argue with them on that. Whatever kept those two happy. Without a second thought, I clambered over to the couch, dropped my bag down with a slight clatter, placed my rapier down next to it, and took a seat. A jolt of surprise coursed through me a split second later. This piece of furniture was the most comfortable thing I have ever sat in. "Gunther, you have to feel these couches. I swear these were crafted by the gods."

He walked back into the living room and eyed the piece of furniture with no small amount of disdain in his eyes. Eventually, he caved and sat down. "I... I am desperate to hate these couches, but I can't bring myself to."

I hummed my agreement as I just sat there, relaxing for the first time in a long time, before the sound of my stomach rumbling tore me from my blissful haze. I needed to make some food. If memory serves correctly, it was my turn to cook for everyone tonight. It took monumental effort to force myself off of the couch and walk over to my bag. Now, what was I in the mood to cook today?