Chapter 26 - Stonger When We Are Together

Mycroft, Sherlock, Mum and Dad visited Sirius regularly even though he was out like a light. They'd always liked him, and had found him to be a like a son to them too.

Eve told her family about Sirius' parents and they had offered him a place in their home, and so did the Potters. Sirius told them that he'd stay over at the Holmes' for Christmas ("you guys have the best Christmas traditions, really.") and he'd stay with the Potters for summer, and visit Eve and her family regularly. Mycroft and Dad soon found out that the 'boyfriend' she had was actually Sirius, and ran to him the next moment to give him 'the talk,' and Sherlock and Eve rolled their eyes so much that they could have seen the back of their own heads.

With the Holmes' as recurring guests at their house, the Potters were always reading Muggle Magazines and finding out about Muggle appliances to start new conversations and ask them doubts. 

Soon, Remus, Marlene, Lily (she came to see if Sirius was doing well and stayed for sometime), Alice and Peter joined at the house, and Family Quidditch season started. Sherlock was refree, even though he didn't fly a broom. Sirius and Remus were beaters of a team each. Eve and Marlene- seekers. Remus and Monty were Chasers of one team, and Mia and James, the other. Lily and Alice were keepers. Mum, Dad and Mycroft were the audience. They watched as all of them flew swiftly through the air on their broomsticks, and cheered when anyone scored a goal. Even Mycroft was invested. They'd once even invited Professor Minnie, Fabian and Gideon Prewett- on the day when Remus had to leave for his furry little problem.

----------------------------------------------------

The night before they left for Diagon Alley, Eve walked to Sirius room, and knocked on his door. Sirius yelled "You can come in!" and she opened the door to find him sitting on the bed and staring at the ceiling.

"Do you have a thing for ceilings? Every time I look at you, you're staring at some ceiling, really," Eve said. Sirius grinned at her and patted on the side of his bed, telling her to come and sit next to him.

"You gonna be okay, right?" Eve asked him, knowing that they might meet Walburga and Orion at Diagon Alley the next day.

"Yeah, I think so," Sirius said thoughtfully, "I think they would've blasted me off the family tree by now."

"Blasted you off the what?" Eve asked.

"Oh, there's this painting- tapestry at our home that has our family tree, you know- all the names, the faces. The pureblood family tree. They have the habit of blasting off the people who don't abide by their supremacist ideologies. Leaving a black mark instead of the name- like disowning them," Sirius explained to her.

Both of them were silent for a moment, wondering how Sirius' family could be so cruel.

"It happened, Eve," he said, breaking the silence.

"What? What happened?"

"He has the Dark Mark. Regulus. H- he volunteered to do get the damn tattoo," Sirius said, with tears in eyes, threatening to spill.

"I'm so sorry. I always thought Regulus- he was better than the others," she said, her voice laced with sadness. She brought him into a hug. She felt hot tears drench her sleeve as she tried to control her own. "It's okay. It's okay, honey. We'll find a way out," she whispered to him.

"The day I ran away, mum- Walburga and Orion, they were so happy. Proud smiling, faces at dinner time. The moment they saw me, their faces had a look of- disgust, to be honest. They looked at me like I was scum, a bloody murderer, and I'd just killed 20 people. They told me how great Regulus was, accepting the Dark Lord's 'gifts' at such a young age. They told me what a blood traitor I was turning out to be, like Andromeda, and threatened to homeschool me if I kept talking with you or Evans, or any of the others who are here. I told them no, and they used the Cruciatus Curse. Regulus was the one who told them to stop. He's not bad. H-He's in pressure. I asked him whether he wanted to come with me, but the golden boy said no. He's afraid," Sirius said, as Eve pulled him to her lap.

"We can help him. But he needs to come to us. We need to convince him that we won't ship him off to Azkaban," Eve said, "But only you can do that. You may not love each other, but you are brothers. Even Sherlock listens to Mycroft, because he knows that Mycroft cares for him. You need to show that you care. But for now, you need sleep. Don't think I don't see those bags below your eyes. Or the dark circles. Sleep," she said as she was leaving the room.

"I don't need-"

"Sirius Black the third, if you don't close your eyes and enter a world with fluffy clouds and rainbow unicorns this moment, I will call you Snuffles from now on," Eve said, and Sirius chuckled before landing on the bed. He called after Eve just as she was about to leave.

"Will you stay with me? Just for the night. I need your company. Just stay. Please." Sirius said. Eve gave him a gentle smile before saying, "If dad or Mike finds out, it's on you, okay?" And she fell on the bed, and nuzzled into Sirius' chest as both of them began to drift into sleep.

"Padfoot! How dare you?" came the voice of someone. To Eve's surprise, it wasn't anyone from her own family that was shouting at Sirius. It was James. And an angry Remus. Eve nudged Sirius awake, and he stirred.

After 20 minutes of shouting swear words at Sirius, Eve finally told James and Remus that they didn't actually do anything, and that she had been in his room just to give Sirius some company, and they calmed down. The year was already starting to become more interesting than ever.

----------------------------------------------------