chapter fourteen.

silently you look at the exhibition in front of you, you are in the museum and today is the last real day here. tonight you all want to celebrate and have fun.

"someday i'll be exhibited in the museum," rin joins you, his hands clasped behind his back.

"as the idiot of the century?" you rather laugh, he surely shakes his head "no, as the womanizer of the nation"

laughing ironically you let him have his fun, continue walking through the hall. rin follows you bored, museums are not his thing, so he rather looks at you.

"how can you seriously waste your time here, standing for hours in front of old objects?" he scoffs.

"if you have some knowledge of culture and are open to different perspectives, then everything here is interesting," you reply naturally.

this statement silences him. silently he actually looks at the painting in front of you and tries to understand something in it.

but the only thing he can concentrate on is your reflection on the glass. you don't notice his gaze on you, you never have.

now that you're already alone with him, you think about your parents, who will soon move in together. you shake yourself in disgust at the idea. rin and you - a small family.

"i still can't accept it. after one week you'll find me dead, i promise" you give rin your statement, but he has no idea what you're actually talking about.

"your father didn't tell you?" it shocks you that he wasn't even warned. after all, it's coming soon.

"y/n, what are you talking about?" rin is confused, then sae appears next to you. "here you are. go, mr. aiku is waiting" he grimly pulls you along, giving rin a deadly look.

sighing, rin shoves his hands into his pants pockets, following you silently.

rin and his father have a very strange relationship, but we would come to that in more detail later.

<3

"what was that earlier?" addresses sae rin as the two of them explore the city during free time.

"huh?" rin adjusts his sunglasses, playing dumb - his favorite role.

"that you were with y/n - my girlfriend. can't you find someone else?" sae is really in a rage.

now rin stops in front of his best friend, "yesterday i was flirting with akame and you forbade me to do that too. why don't you make a list of girls i'm not allowed to talk to?"

"are you serious, rin?" an argument slowly but surely develops between the two. "with you, approaching a girl means flirting and then dropping her"

"exactly," rin grins, "so with akame, for example, that doesn't interest you at all."

sae takes a deep breath and exhales "akame has a boyfriend, that's why i care"

"mikage? since when do you care about him? i thought you hated him" rin frowns.

"it doesn't matter what's wrong with her now," sae deflects from the subject "the important thing is that you leave y/n alone. she's taken, do you understand? you can't flirt with your friends' girlfriends. just don't do that" sae says seriously, walking past rin in the direction back to the hotel.

flaring up, rin turns to the departing boy. "i've always liked y/n and you knew that. why her of all people? you could have any of them" he gets loud, now more than angry.

he's not wrong, after all, sae knew before the deal began that rin had a crush on you.

in the movement sae turns back to him "okay, i admit it. at the beginning i just wanted to annoy you a little bit, but it turned into something more."

and that's not a lie either.

"we should end this fake relationship" reo chats dejectedly with akame.

apparently you don't want him anymore, so there's no point in this whole thing. why keep lying if it's not going to do any good?

"no, we have to move on! sae will definitely want me soon" akame pleads with him, however reo surely shakes his head.

"thanks for everything, you're a great girl and you'll find the right one someday" he leaves akame alone.

reo and sae continued to argue loudly, the strangers around them occasionally looking quizzically as they walked by.

"what did you have to talk to her about that was so important anyway?" sae props his hands on his hips.

rin panics, surely he won't talk about his father. "about mikage" he can't think of anything better under pressure.

now sae is all ears "excuse me?"

wordlessly rin pulls out his phone, he wants to stand well with sae and avoid drama with him, so he does what he thinks is best for himself.

"when is this from?" sae snatches the phone with the old video of you and reo kissing from his hand.

"last night" he lies.

overwhelmed, sae hands the phone back to him, unable to get a word past his lips for the time being.

"she promised me she wouldn't see him again," he remembers your words from last night.

sympathetically rin pats his back. "bro, that's why i talked to her for so long earlier. i confronted her for you."

sae hugs his best friend briefly in gratitude, then they make their way back to the hotel.

when sae sees you standing in the entrance area, since you were waiting for him with a smile, he stubbornly walks past you.

"what's wrong with him?" you grab rin by the arm, as sae has already run away.

"i don't know," he says, however, shaking off your hand. "where are you going?" he walks next to sae again, leaving you behind.

"if y/n can break their promises, so can i" he walks resolutely to your room, where, of course, akame is also alone since you're downstairs.

rin stops in surprise, only to hear sae slam the door of your room.

"he's going to cheat on her.. shit, what have i done?" he guiltily ruffles his hair.