An Imaginary Goose Egg

It has been a long time since I've been on my own. It's strange and I feel like I'm missing something. Like I'm missing a part of me – Crinae. However, I'm allowed to go places by myself. I don't need my sister tagging along all the time.

Where should I go? It's not like there are a million places. I rule out outside since more Waterstealers could be there. I'm a bit freaked out over Trunken today. He makes my skin crawl.

I really didn't think this wandering-around-thing-solo through. I'm without a light and stumbling around in the dark. I need a candle. Many people have left Nakimu and I bet a lot of compounds are empty. I push the door to one home wide open and slowly walk around the room with my hands outstretched in front of me.

"Ow."

I think I kicked a table. Yes, it's the kitchen table. Lucky for me, there's a lamp and matches on it.

With the lamp beaming, I shine the light around the chamber. It's Dodney's old home. I know because he put a sign on his bedroom door.

"Keep out! Private! Dodney's room. No girls allowed."

"Too bad, bro. I'm going in."

It's not a bedroom, it's actually a closet. There's a mattress with a patchwork quilt on it that takes up most of the space. A brown teddy bear sits slumped in the corner. The teddy is missing an eye and looks like he's been much loved. I wonder why Dodney left him behind. There's nothing else in the room save for some old clothing hanging from the rods. I turn back into the main room.

The whole place is empty. Empty of humans but not devoid of stuff. Pictures hang on the wall of Dodney's mother and what was probably his father and other relations. The main chamber is tiny, tinier than others I have seen at the settlement. Much, much tinier than Solomon and Katherine's. There's one chair and a couple of mats. No table or dishes or food. The rock on the floor is polished so I surmise the dwelling was used a lot.

The second chamber is a bedroom, which has a real bed with a red blanket on it. With a little lump in the middle. A lump that's going up and down. A breathing lump. I quietly back out of the room. Making no noise at all.

My elbow smashes against the rock wall. Sending a jolt of pain straight up to my shoulder and into my neck. I stifle a shout but it's too late. The lump sits up.

"You made it for our tea date, girlie," says Trunken. "Should I prepare the kettle for two?"

He hops out of bed and I'm face-to-face with the Waterstealer. I'm face-to-face with my nightmare. Every fibre in my body, soul and mind is kicking into gear and telling me to run. But something holds me in place. I'm Aeternian. I know how to take care of things like him. I'm going to take this Waterstealer down.

Taking a wide stance, I lift up my arm to blast a chunk of flesh off his sinister and sneering mouth.

"Before you do anything you'll regret," he says matter-of-factly. "Listen to me."

"Why should I? You threatened me and my family."

"You are not safe," he says, ignoring my comments. "There's danger here."

I snort at Trunken.

"You're the danger. I'm fully aware that I'm not safe with you."

Trunken cocks his head to one side and puts his hands on his narrow hips.

"Not by me, idiot," he says.

That's the last I remember.

***

When I come to, I see by the light that I'm lying on Fujina's narrow bed, covered with the red blanket. My head feels like I bashed it against the rock wall a few times too many. In fact, there's a large bump on my forehead. My eyes are aching and my tongue is sticking to the roof of my mouth. What happened?