Chapter 58 - the blue spirit

- Third POV -

"Mizuki, it's gonna be okay. I promise. I won't let Zhao kill you" Says Aang, who had noticed that Mizuki had been quiet the whole time since Zhao left.

"I'll be fine Aang. But, thanks" Replies Mizuki with a smile on her face.

"Are you sure? You've been quiet the whole time" Asks Aang worriedly.

"I'm fine, I was just thinking of a way to escape. If only we could get rid of these chains" Sighs Mizuki.

"Yeah" Replies Aang in a sorrowful tone. After a minute or two, Mizuki breaks the silence.

"I think I found a way to escape!"

"Really?" Beams Aang curiously.

"Yeah!" Gushes Mizuki.

"What is it?" Asks Aang excited.

"Uhm, it may sound a little crazy. But what if we pretend we're having a fight and I'm about to kill you?" Aang's eyes widen out of shock.

"WHAT? Mizuki that's a terrible idea, I don't want to fight you" Exclaims Aang.

"Wait, hear me out. Okay?" Aang nods annoyed.

"We don't actually have to fight each other. If you just scream loud enough, and I kick the chains or stomp on the floor, the guards outside will think we're fighting each other" Explains Mizuki while Aang blinks confused.

"Why would we want them to think that we're fighting each other?"

"Zhao made it obvious that he doesn't want you to die, so he'll definitly rush into this room if he hears you scream loudly. Or maybe some guard will enter to check up on you, instead of Zhao" States Mizuki.

"Go on" Says Aang who's listening.

"All we need to do is use our airbending to throw the person against the walls a few times, until they lose their consciousness. Once they're knocked out we can steal their keys, with the help of airbending of course" Informs Mizuki while Aang starts to grin.

"You know, you're kind of evil for a pacifist" Jokes Aang while Mizuki starts to laugh.

"Well, what do you think?" Asks Mizuki.

"You know, you sounded crazy at first but this might work! But what if we get the wrong guard, and he doesn't have any keys with him?" Replies Aang.

"I doubt that the guards who are guarding the door of this room wouldn't have a key. But if they don't, we can always use their clothing to sneak out" Shrugs Mizuki.

"Fair enough. Now, let's get out of here-" Aang stops talking the moment the door opens. A guy in black clothing with a blue mask enters the room and runs towards Aang with two curved swords in his hands. Aang screams in fear as the guy cuts Aang's chains with his swords. The masked guy had freed him. Who is this guy? The masked guy turns around to face Mizuki and cuts her chains as well. After doing so, he walks back towards the door.

"Who are you? What's going on? Are you here to rescue us?" Asks Aang confused. The mysterious guy simply holds the door open and motions for Aang and Mizuki to follow him.

"I'll take that as a yes" Says Aang before following the masked guy. Mizuki tugs onto Aang's sleeve. Aang turns around and looks at Mizuki with a confused expression written on his face.

"We have to be careful, we don't know what this guy is up to" Whispers Mizuki.

"It'll be okay, I don't think he's going to hurt us" Replies Aang as he continues to follow the masked guy. Mizuki gulps nervously before following Aang. Who is this guy? And why is he wearing a mask? Why does he need to hide his face?

❀❀❀

Momo has succeeded in piling up mountains of junk next to Katara, but no water. He grabs a crown and puts it on Katara's head. Katara slowly wakes up.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Momo? We need water, wa-ter. Oh forget it. Aang, Mizuki, please, hurry" Mumbles Katara who's still sleepy.

"Who are these 'Aang' and 'Mizuki' kids you keep talking about, Your Highness?" Asks Sokka confused while Katara just sighs annoyed before coughing.

❀❀❀

Aang, Mizuki and the masked guy are walking silently in the sewer system underneath the fortress. Multiple soldiers walk back and forth above them. The trio jumps out of a grate into one of the courtyards. Meanwhile, Zhao's walking in one of the corridors of the fortress, followd by a scribe.

"I want a full transcription of my speech sent to the Fire Lord, along with glowing testimonials from all of the ranking officers present, and-" Zhao stops talking the moment he hears someone grunt. Zhao turns around and sees a few soldiers lying on the ground tied with ropes. He quickly slams open the door to Aang and Mizuki's prison cell, only to find out that it's empty. Zhao turns around furiously and leaves.

"Sir, should I hold off sending that speech to the Fire Lord?" Asks the scribe. Aang, Mizuki and the masked guy are scaling on a rope on the innermost wall of the fortress.

"There, on the wall!" Shouts a soldier before cutting the rope. The trio falls down as they start screaming. Before they hit the ground, Aang airbends a soft landing for them. The mysterious guy unsheathes his swords before he starts running.

"The Avatar has escaped! Close all the gates immediately!" Shouts Zhao angrily.

"Stay close to me!" Yells Aang as he runs next to Mizuki and the masked guy. The third gate is closes in front of them. Aang airbends a blast of air that blows the soldiers out of the way. After doing so, he creates a huge airblast and catapults Mizuki and the masked guy to the top of the third wall. The masked guy falls on top of Mizuki, who is quick to push him off.

"Sorry" Mumbles the guy awkwardly. Mizuki looks at him confused, his voice kinda sounds familiar...Aang is instantly surrounded, but uses a stick as a helicopter blade. He plucks the masked guy and Mizuki off the wall and heads into the next courtyard. Aang struggles to keep them aloft due the weight. The masked guy uses his swords to knock the spears sent up at them by the guards. Mizuki catches one of the spears and does the same. They barely reach the top of the net wall as they crash unceremoniously onto the battlement. The masked guy throws a guard over the wall while Mizuki and Aang airbend some soldiers off the wall.

To be continued

Word count: 1.072