Chapter 30 - Death Threats And Other Offers

It had been months since the Quidditch Cup. The Marauders had finished their year successfully, and all of them were turning 17, except Peter before the vacations were over. They had even passed their Apparition exams. On July 29, all of Eve's friends visited her at her home, gave her presents. They'd all shared bottles of Butterbeer, and her parents invited Sirius and James over for dinner. Realizing that it was the right time, Sirius had got down on one knee, and Eve rolled her eyes again, he had always been such a dramatic person.

"Eve, will you marry me?" Sirius asked, a rose- gold ring in the box that he held in his hand, and Eve swore that Mycroft had fainted from his over- protectiveness and not because of the heat.

As much as she wanted to say yes to him, Eve told him, "Sirius, I understand that you love me, and I love you, but we're still in school. I'd like to say yes, but-"

"-I know, I know that I can't ask you to marry me right now. I love you, Eve, and I want you to know, I want to marry you someday. It's a promise ring. So, will you marry me someday?"

Not being able to control her emotion, Eve burst out "Yes! Oh my Gosh, yes! I would love to marry you someday, Sirius!" she laughed as he slid the finger on her ring. Even Sherlock was smiling.

Days rolled into weeks, and Eve had started working as an actual member of the Order. Sometimes at midnight, a phoenix Patronus would burst into her room (that she shared with Sherlock, bunk beds, remember?) and tell her to join her in the Ministry or attend an urgent meeting at the Headquarters, which was the Potter Manor. The tasks were usually not very life- threatening, but they did have a slight aura of a spy movie. For example, she was once asked to sneak into the Ministry to check up on Rodolphus Lestrange Sr. and she had found out that he had been supplying Portkeys for the Death Eaters to infiltrate the Ministry.

On August 20, Eve had left her house to go to an Order meeting at the Potters' House. They had been talking about how Voldemort was gaining more information about the Ministry and it's secrets by the minute. When she went back home, Eve made herself a cup of steaming coffee, and sat down to talk with Mycroft and Sherlock about what was going on in the Ministry and the Muggle British Government.

Suddenly, a loud crash was heard near the road. Even though the Holmes' lived in London, the area was quite secluded, and there were never many cars on the roads. Eve, Sherlock and Mycroft ran outside, Eve with her wand drawn out, should anything happen. There was nothing on the road. It was empty. There was literally nothing that could have crashed or exploded. And then she looked up.

It was the Dark Mark.

"Mycroft, you know the drill. Go get Mum and Dad. Sherlock, set up the fire- Oh you know what, never mind- Incendio! Put the Floo powder-"

And then the attack started. Spells were flying everywhere, and Eve was using every bit of her strength to deflect them. She was outnumbered, 1 to 12. Sherlock had gotten away to the Potters' to inform them and come back with reinforcements, but Eve decided that it was too late. It was time to deploy some of her own big guns.

"Protego Diabolica," she said with a swish of her wand, instead of the typical circle wand movement, and drew a circle of flame around her family, burning in a bright grey colour. The difference in wand movement had differed the impact of the Dark Curse greatly. Instead of burning her enemies, it would only Stun and throw them away for meters while leaving her allies unharmed. "Protego Totalum, Fianto Duri." Her family was safe now.

She began tackling all of the Death Eaters, stunning, scarring, and disarming them. She had mastered wandless and non- verbal magic under Dumbledore too. She was almost undefeatable, even though she was outnumbered. Suddenly the Death Eaters looked at the Marks on their arms, and took a step behind as a figure came flying towards her in the sky.

Eve readied her wand, expecting an attack any moment. As the figure landed, Eve saw him. She saw Voldemort, in the flesh, standing in front of her. He looked snake- like. He had red eyes, and slits instead of nostrils. Eve was disgusted by the look of him. As he landed on the ground, the surrounding area became pitch- black, as though it were midnight already. 

"You are powerful. Yes, I sense that Dumbledore has taught you quite well. Join me, Evangeline, and we shall rule the world," he told Eve, extending a hand towards her, for her to hold. Eve heard her mother scream as she fell into Mycroft's arms. Her eyes fluttered to her family for a moment, and she looked back at Voldemort.

"I'll even let your Muggle family live," he offered her, and Eve grew angry. "You're making an exception for my family? Pity, I'm not joining the side that isn't letting the other Muggles live as well," she said. Voldemort laughed and Eve felt herself almost trembling- almost.

She stepped out of the circle, "You're a half blood, aren't you? What's your deal with Muggles, you big power hungry asshat?"

Now Voldemort was angry. It was so much better than seeing him laugh. He raised his wand-

"-Avada Kedavra!"

Eve raised her wand, and the Earth in front of her took the form of a big shield as it absorbed the Killing Curse. She sent back a disarming spell. Both of them were duelling, Eve sometimes using her newly created Dark Spells, and both of them were nowhere near winning or losing.

Sherlock came back with a group of members of the Order, only to look at his sister fighting a snake like ghost animal. The members of the Order fought back against the Death Eaters, and led the other Holmes' to safety. As soon as they were done, they turned to fighting Voldemort, but he had gone, sensing the new army of people fighting for Eve.

The next thing she knew, she had Apparated to James' house to take a look at her family. They were all unharmed, thanks to the her protective measures, but she thought that her mum might have to battle a bit of trauma. James and Sirius Apparated next to her, and gave her a big hug as she explained what happened to them. Mia offered for them to stay at the Manor and the Holmes' had no reason not to. Their home had been destroyed by no more than 12 men and a snake man with no nose.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Vote before you go!