➪FORTY FIVE

Above the stairs, over the balcony, the small crackling of a fire could be heard

Above the stairs, over the balcony, the small crackling of a fire could be heard. Nicco must have lit it. I tug at my small satin dress as I walk down the long corridor, soon reaching the stairs where I slowly walk down. When he comes to view he is standing near the fire and holding a fire poker. He sticks it into the fire, a bit of the flames coming out, but not enough to burn the entire place down. He pokes around for a few seconds before putting the tool back. He softly halts when he sees me, only briefly before he clasps his hands, shaking them a bit as if he wanted to get the residue from them.

"Hey" he says. It's been some time since I've last seen him. Forty minutes at most. I showered for nearly thirty minutes and stayed inside of his bedroom for the remaining time. I thought he'd come up.

"Hey" I mutter as I slowly walk closer to him, walking through the entirety of the lower level of his apartment. My arms hug my body, a cool shiver sending down my spine as I start to feel the warmth from the fire underneath my feet.

Nicco doesn't think twice. He reaches under the coffee table and grabs a tightly folded cover before coming to meet me, putting it over my arms. I give him a small smile to thank him as I make my way down onto the floor, sitting directly in front of the fireplace. He looks at me, puzzled for a second before kneeling himself, soon sitting on his behind.

Mmm. The fire feels so warm on my toes and legs. The soles of my feet are getting heated up too. I've never actually had the luxury of owning a fireplace. We never had one as a child, and it wasn't something I ever thought of. Now I'm thinking I can't live without it.

He shivers next to me before scooting a bit closer. He smoothly wraps his arm around me and kisses the side of my head before pulling back.

"Can we talk?" I ask. This sudden quietness irks my mind. It makes it seem as if we're shy of one another. As if we haven't been enjoying this entire few months of knowing each other, and having the best sex I've ever had.

He swallows before his jaw tenses. His tightening muscles don't affect his eyes though. They are gloomy and he looks guiltful. "Are you leaving me?" He mutters.

"No" I speak quickly. Jeez.

"I just want to apologize for everything today. You were absolutely right. I do push your boundaries. I've never noticed. I'm actually grateful that you called me out on it today. Otherwise I wouldn't have known" I admit.

My long time spent at the bar made me think about a lot. He was right. He always is. I do push his boundaries, and probably other people as well. He's never actually called me out on it before so I had no idea but now that he has, I feel horrible. And I should. I take full responsibility for my actions.

"I admire your thought put into you apologizing. You rarely ever do that, Elizabeth" he tells me.

I smile softly as I look to my left and at him. He's already looking down at me. Oh. His eyes are so beautiful. They are dazzling. He looks so wholesome. What is this.