chapter nineteen.

kind of a timeskip a little bit

reo makes your heart beat faster, you like to look at him and talk to him. but knowing that he will be leaving soon makes you worry.

you've spent a lot of time together lately, he's helped you get over the pain of sae a little.

he wants to date you, has asked you out.

you love sae and reo still knows that, but he wanted to be the one to give you happiness again.

however it seems like sae has completely lost interest in you. no sayings, no long looks, just neutral distance.

and actually, you should come to terms with that, right? even if you still love him, at least you've been very close with reo lately.

<3

rin currently has to use crutches to walk, goes through school with them. "the fucking doctor could have given me a wheelchair, then i could have used it to drive over the ugly food here" he has a hard time with the new help.

because he hurt his ankle playing soccer.

sae walks slowly beside him, also carrying rin's backpack. "look, you can do this" he asks for one of the crutches, rin hands it to him.

determined sae smashes the glass of the fire alarm with the end, the loud alarm goes off. immediately the entire student body breaks out in screams, already running outside.

"everyone follow the teachers!" the principal makes an announcement.

"that was good!" rin laughs with tears in his eyes. finally a little excitement in the boring school.

still many run out, sae spots your tired face in the crowd "excuse me" he pushes his hands into his pockets and joins you.

"don't worry, i'll protect you from the flames," he plays up "at least i can't burn, i'm just too hot by nature already"

laughing lightly, you slap his upper arm, having somehow missed his manner.

together you stand outside on the sports field, being counted off by the teachers. "where is rin?" the teacher asks angrily.

meanwhile, rin enters the boys' restroom. "finally there's no one here to look at my dick anymore" he wants to use the empty school for himself, but then he hears noises in a cubicle, a female voice. "this is where you fuck? i haven't even sunk that low" he jokes and brazenly opens the door with his crutch.

his jaw almost drops to the floor when he sees the two. "son of a bitch" he slaps reo right in the face with his crutch.

because he's cheating on you with someone else.

<3

hesitantly sae stands at your door, he heard from rin that you broke off contact with reo.

he was talking to other girls all the time. as it turned out, not just one, but half the class. many girls want something from the exchange student, and he didn't want to give that up - he never will.

you were just one of many. even though you had the privilege of holding his hand in front of everyone.

sae quietly enters your room, you're huddled on the floor in the farthest corner in front of the heater. your mascara has run, you're actually crying, suffering.

not because you love reo, but because something like this happened to you again.

the sight of you makes him weak, of course he will want to comfort you. so he closes the door, sits with you in front of the heater and hugs you lightly from the side.

unexpectedly, he notices how you turn to him, crying against his chest. he doesn't know this vulnerable side of you. "why does everyone cheat on me?" you harbor self-doubt.

"y/n i-" he wants to tell you that he didn't cheat on you because you weren't enough for him. he feels guilty, you must feel terrible. "i know" you interrupt him curtly, backing off a bit.

inside you know he never meant to hurt you. "i should never have gotten involved with him. that boy is 99% facade."

he fooled you, pretended to be something. "sometimes you have to be disappointed by what you want, so you can see what you need" sae speaks out honestly. wordlessly, you look up at him, eyeing the slightly raised corners of his mouth.

"are you what i really need?" you speak in the subjunctive, knowing that your current situation would not allow for a committed relationship.

but your parents will soon separate again, the situation will look completely different again.

"it was me," he answers, turning his gaze away from you. "y/n you know i liked you.. but to be honest i've been in a committed relationship for some time now."

"huh?" question mark appears on your face, you can't believe the player.

"the deal with you showed me that i could be a relationship person after all. i like to take care of a girl, i don't want more than one" he explains, seeing your confusion.

as if he were a new person - a more adult person. being a player is over, he wants to take his new relationship seriously.

for real this time.

slowly he stands up "akame makes me feel needed. and i don't want to hurt her. yet i'm still there for you as a friend."

nodding, you let him go, needing to process what he has told you. but how? he is the person you love.

"sae?" you stop him once more.

"yes?"

"why couldn't you be this person you are now for me?"

he sees the pain in your eyes "i wish i could have been, y/n"