24

Jenna

I stare at my father in surprise. I was speechless. He wanted to apologize?
Jonathan steps infront of me protectively. I grab his hand to stop him before I realize what I'm doing.

"You really came to apologize?" I ask skeptically. He nods his head taking a few more steps forward.

"Jenna what I did to you and your mom was wrong. I see that now. I didn't even car about the fact that you were dying. I realized this after I read this." In his hand he holds a gospel track I had left on my bed. I feel my own eyes brim with tears.

"I started reading the Bible and realized that I was supposed to protect you and instead I kicked you out. I'm so sorry Jenna. If you can forgive me I'd like to wipe my slate clean." He finishes as tears roll down his face. I was stunned I had been trying to reach him for years now.

"Oh daddy." I stand up and as well as I can walk to him. He wraps me in his arms the same way he used to when I was young.
"Of course I forgive you." I say. He to sobs as we hold each other.

I stand back a bit still leaning mostly on him. Jonathan walks up behind me .
"Do you want help sitting?" He ask. I nod and he helps me to the bed. I catch a brief glance at his face and see his own eyes hold tears.

"Daddy this is Jonathan Cooper. He's my boyfriend." I say turning back to my Dad. Boyfriend, that's as a weird word to use.
"Jonathan this is my Dad." Jonathan reaches out his hand. My Dad takes it smiling widely.

"Names Richard. It's nice to meet you." Jonathan smiles,but I can tell it's a bit forced.

"Nice to meet you to Sir." They sit down on opposite sides of the bed and we talk until I find myself drifting off.
My Dad stands up.

"I better get going. I still have to stop by your mom's. I want to fix this."
I nod my head and he leaves. Jonathan looks at me for minute before he talks.

"That's not the man I was expecting to be your father." He says still sounding puzzled. I laugh and he gives me a weird look.

"That's because that's not the man who was my father. He found Jesus Jonathan, and Jesus has a way of changing people. Look at you." Realization crosses his face.

"I guess it was a pretty dramatic change wasn't it?" He says deep in thought his brown eyes looking into the distance. I laugh again.

"Jonathan it was beyond dramatic your new person." He smiles and takes my hand. His brown eyes softening as he studies my face.

"I never want to go back." We sit in silence and I feel myself drifting off again.

"Jonathan?" I ask breaking the silence.
He hums in response. I swallow and I'm sure my whole face is red.

"Can you sing to me? So I can fall asleep." He smiles at me. Brushing the hair off my face he answers.

"I'd love to sing for you coffee cup." And so he starts to sing  surprised by the song he chooses. He starts to sing big big plans by  Chris Lane. That's how I fall asleep listening to the love of my life sing.