Part 6.10

ADDY

So that is what happened all those years ago. Onyx is toasting comfortably next to Addy's heat charm. The phoenix eyes him warily. Rikamu has always said she cannot give back what is not wanted. It is now apparent why.

Addy sidles up next to him and closes her eyes against the warmth. "Why do you think she did it, Onyx? Broke her own rules?"

The Dark Witch burned down the Forest of Sorrows. Perhaps that is why.

"Maybe she felt guilty," suggests Addy. "She took Bethany's heart, and the whole world suffered."

Perhaps.

The phoenix stands, gives a soundless roar, and crumbles to ashes. Onyx growls with annoyance. From the ashes sprouts a small flame. It flares brighter with each moment, eventually coalescing into a phoenix again. Satisfied, Onyx settles back into his basking stretch.

"I'm sorry, Onyx. The charm needs to recharge every once in a while."

Must it make such a performance of it?

Addy scratches him under the chin, earning a purr of gratitude. His nails are getting long, she thinks absent-mindedly. Lily needs to clip them.

Like Onyx, Addy believed they'd found the answer they were looking for. It was the only answer that fit. The Dark Witch could not have been defeated by a mortal - she was too powerful for that. She'd reigned undefeated for a hundred years, a deathless spectre that haunted the edges of nightmares. But she was not invincible. In the end, her own heart had killed her.

They'd searched for answers in every corner of the First Continent, and they were there all along, in Addy's own birthplace. Rikamu ended the Dark Ages. Rikamu killed the Dark Witch.

Forcing the Dark Witch to take her heart back was a drastic move for a goddess who lived by the strict rules of Light. It must have been like pushing two wrongly charged magnets together. They didn't belong, couldn't belong. Something had to give.

"We can't kill Lily," Addy says firmly.

I am not suggesting that we kill her. Lily is not the Dark Witch. I do not think Bethany's heart would prove fatal to her. However, it could cancel out the darkness controlling her. The Dark Witch's anger could be neutralised by the heart she once lost.

"But Lily's darkness is inherited from the First Witch. Bethany's heart can't cancel that out."

Onyx sighs. No, it cannot. But it can tip the scales in Lily's favour.

Addy turns this over in her mind. The part of Lily that is the Dark Witch could be neutralised with her heart. Yet, it was not Lily's to take.

"Are you sure it's safe, Onyx? I'm scared Lily will be hurt." Addy chews on a lock of her hair. It tastes metallic, not at all like its buttery colour.

This has not been done before, Adamantine. I cannot guarantee Lily's safety. He sighs audibly. Yet, it is the only way. I do not think Lily can battle the darkness on her own.

Addy is silent. She can't bear the thought of hurting Lily while trying to save her. She wanted a safer way, a way that wouldn't put her friend at risk, but she knew there was none. If they had any hope of saving Lily, they had to use Bethany's heart to do it.

"How are we going to get Lily to the Forest of Sorrows?"

I will teleport her myself.

"Oh, Onyx...I don't think she'll come with you."

A dry laugh falls from Onyx's lips. Not willingly, no. I will have to weaken her first.

Addy freezes. "You mean..."

Yes. We must battle.

"Onyx, no." Addy's voice is barely a whisper. "One of you could be seriously hurt. I couldn't bear it if I lost either one of you."

There is no choice, Adamantine. I must do what has to be done.

"Then I'm coming too," insists Addy. "I'll bring healing potions in case you get hurt."

It is too dangerous for a human.

"I'm not letting you go alone." Addy pouts stubbornly. "You and Lily are my two best friends."

Onyx sighs. Throwing potions at the Dark Witch will not help anything. You are merely putting yourself at risk.

"We'll take one of Maya's flying carts and stay out of sight. If we're caught, we can retreat quickly."

Onyx doesn't say anything.

"I'm coming, Onyx, whether you like it or not. You won't convince me otherwise."

Onyx closes his eyes in defeat. Does your mother approve of this?

Addy's face slumps. "Hami doesn't want me to help Lily," she whispers. "She says Lily has made her choice."

I see. Onyx hisses as the phoenix turns to ashes again. Silly bird.

"I still wish you didn't have to fight her."

I must. She is my responsibility.

"I'm her friend too," Addy reminds him.

Onyx tilts his head into the warmth as the phoenix roars back to life. His eyelids lower sleepily. The Dark Witch blamed me for the incident that saw her run into the arms of Rikamu. She was incapacitated by fear when her village was attacked. I tried to help her overcome it for years, but I was unsuccessful. She found out later about a jewel called Ayrite that has been known to calm people. I had known of it, but I was also aware of its side effects. There were people so dazed from the jewel's effects that they wandered the streets like zombies. Those that could not stop taking it developed aggressive qualities. I did not want to risk it. He pauses. A gentle meow slips from his lips. Perhaps I was wrong to keep the Ayrite from her. Despite its risks, it has helped many people.

Addy moves in to embrace him. "It wasn't your fault, Onyx. You were just trying to keep her safe."

But I did not, he admits. I failed, and the Dark Witch scorched the edges of Lake Ayra. The jewel could not help anyone ever again.

Addy squeezes him tightly. "People make mistakes. You meant well."

It is time for me to fix my mistakes. I let her fall prey to evil a thousand years ago. I will not lose her again.

Addy kisses him on the forehead. "It'll be okay, Onyx," she says. "It has to be."

I will make it so. I can hunt her energy easily. We shall battle, and I shall take her to the Forest of Sorrows. While I cannot see Rikamu, she can see and hear me. I am certain she will know what to do.

Addy hopes Rikamu will cooperate. She'd broken the rules once, but would she do it again?

Onyx rests his head on Addy's lap. I shall rest before the battle. I must be at full strength. He stops to gaze thoughtfully at his paws, the ghost of a smile playing in his eyes. It has been a very long time since I have taken my true form.