22. THE GIRL

Despite how lavish the restaurant is that his father had chosen, Jeongguk definitely isn't enjoying himself. Sure, the champagne is palpable with an intoxicating fizz and the food is delectable, not to mention the sizable portions with thoughtful presentation.

It's the reasoning behind the occasion that has his attitude veering very closely into a sour state. Regardless of his company - of the dashing woman sitting across from him.

Jeongguk would much rather be anywhere else. Even drowning in stacks of paperwork at his office, rather than indulging this lady with his dull level of reciprocation. He sounds like a robot and he wouldn't be shocked if he somehow looked the part.

Of course he knows who she is. And it is true that marrying her would come with many benefits. However, he isn't interested. He has never been interested in any of the women his father has tried to hook him up with. He'll carry out the business plans that are formulated but he will never allow himself to be tied down with somebody he doesn't love.

"Are you okay?" she asks, looking at him with a small tilt to her head. "You've barely touched your food. You seem distracted."

"I'm fine," Jeongguk replies, dropping his fork and knife against his plate, staring at his watch.

"Do you have somewhere you need to be?" Her voice is gentle but for some reason, it irritates Jeongguk.

"Not necessarily." He studies her complexion, very aware of the thoughts running through her head. It's the same kind of impression he gives every person when they first meet.

The hair falling into her eye is pushed behind her ear and Jeongguk's gaze follows the movement instantly out of boredom. He can almost hear the ticking from the moving arms on his wrist watch in his head amongst the visiting that happens around their table.

When he was younger and his father had set him up on dates, usually, he'd be able to push through them just to avoid any kind of drama. But right now, it feels impossible. Everything that he hates about this whole situation is incredibly obvious that he can't even try to hide his discontent.

"I'm not sure what I've done wrong―"

"You haven't done anything wrong. And I apologize but I need to go. Don't wait for me because I'm not coming back." Jeongguk leaves a small pile of money on the table, standing to button up his suit jacket.

She looks at him, appalled by his sudden announcement of departure. Jeongguk, however, is indifferent to it and doesn't look back as he makes his way out of the restaurant.

He hasn't seen Jimin much since his father has been in the city, hovering. He hasn't been able to stop thinking about him and as a result, Jeongguk has been very distracted. The blond hasn't been picking up his calls or texts, either, and he wonders why. Worried and rightfully so.

The last time Jeongguk saw Jimin, he still had his hand wrapped in bandage from the incident with the picture frame. Which was almost a week ago. A week too long.

As soon as Jeongguk makes it into his car, he buckles himself up and heads off toward Jimin's apartment. It's later at night so the traffic isn't terrible and it's getting dark which makes for a great cover.

It isn't long before he hears his phone ringing. All he does is look down at it and to no surprise, it's his father. She must have called him as soon as Jeongguk left. They both seem to be quite consistent and he feels as though she isn't going to be leaving the picture so easily.

Jeongguk ignores it and focuses on the road. He doesn't let Jimin know that he's coming because if he did, he would be ignored either way. Before stepping out of his car, he tugs a cap over his head and settles a mask over his face.