Chapter 20 - What lies ahead

A/N:
-Featuring "Sanctuary" by Joji
-I highly recommend that you guys listen to the song once it takes play later on this chapter
-Chapter art owned by "monメ" from Pixiv
************************************************************************

[(Y/N)'s POV]

The confusion in my girlfriend's eyes says a lot about how surprising my declaration was to her. I held her hand and try to pull her close to me.

"I know this feels really sudden but this was something that's a bit long overdue."

"I'm sorry hon, I was just a bit surprised."

"It's okay, I mean, no normal person will just go out and say they'll be changing their surname all of a sudden."

"Yeah... But what brought about this decision?"

"Well, as I was saying earlier, this was something that spark a bit of an issue for me when I spent the weekend with my mother in Tokyo. I met her spouse..."

"I see, yeah, I remember now. We were all caught up with the Sunrise Festival that we somehow overlook the family matter of yours. But how was it though? We haven't had the chance to talk about it in full detail."

"I can say it was okay. My mother's new spouse is named Maro Yazawa. He sounded alright to me. He was even excited to support me for my college; so was my mother. But there's something I just can't accept."

"And what is that?"

"He said that it would be great if I use his surname..."

"I see... That would mean..."

"Yeah, for me, it would feel like setting aside my father's last name and just accepting what happened is like a gut punch for everything that I've been through. So I thought, since I'll most likely change my surname, why not use Grandma's and Yuko's..."

"That's pretty much understandable but would that post some concerns with your relationship towards mother and your new dad?"

"I don't know but I'm sure that I wouldn't be using Yazawa as a last name..."

"If that's what you decided upon then I'll support you all the way hon."

"Thanks Hon. Though I know it would take some time for my friends and family, someday they'll get used to calling me by my new surname."

"And that is?"

"Katori"

"Hmmm... 'Katori-kun'... Well, that's their concern since I'll still call you hon, or whatever I like!" She giggled and hugged me tightly.

While spending some time lazing around together watching TV, someone opened the door and came in.

"(Y/N)? You home?" Yuko asked while she was trying to head over to the living room.

"Hey, Yuko! I'm here!"

"Okay, that's good to—Hi there!" Yuko's eyes lit up when she saw Ichika just leaning towards me.

Ichika got up from her seat and gave Yuko a bow.

"Hello Yuko-san, it's nice to meet you"

"Hey hey! Don't be so formal!" She hugged Ichika as if they were friends for years. "Nice to meet you too! Has my nephew treating you all good?"

"Yes, he certainly does" she winked at me

"What does that mean!?" 

"Great! He just seems like an uptight person sometimes but he's good." Yuko commented.