Chapter 82

May 5, 2017

Time felt strange for five years.

In the attic of the Willoughby Lake house, the four Mikaelsons remained unchanged. Trapped in their sleep, preserved in their poisoned and dying states until a cure could be made.

But downstairs, the little girl who spoke to them every day had grown quite a bit.

"Muddy shoes aren't allowed on the couch," said Maddy just a millisecond before Hope leapt onto the couch, where Klaus was sketching. Too late, the mud splattered onto the cushions. Hope started to giggle, seeing her father making a silly face at her, pointing at a particular chunk of mud that seemed to be in the shape of a heart.

From the kitchen, Maddy raised a brow at them, and Hope quickly removed her shoes, walking to the doorway to set them on the designated mat. "Sorry, Mom, I forgot," she said, going to the couch and wiping the mud off. "It's Theo's fault, he didn't want to bring me to the door and made me walk through the pasture."

"Ah, that Theo," said Klaus, peeking out of the window at the horse in the distance. "I believe he may still be offended that you did not give him his carrot on time yesterday."

"But I was painting, I forgot! I didn't do it on purpose."

"Tell that to Theo," said Maddy, heading toward them with bowls of sliced fruit. "Try to eat some of the pineapple, don't just give it all to your dad."

"Thank you," said Hope, taking a fork and starting to eat, though she waited until Maddy turned around to quickly place the pineapple slices in Klaus's bowl. He simply smiled and ate them before Maddy could notice. "Are they coming yet?"

"They should almost be here," said Maddy, checking her phone. "Your Aunt Elena said they'd be here around midday."

"We're gonna have a sleepover," said Hope happily. "I already made a tent in my room."

"Just make sure you actually sleep," said Klaus. "You cannot stay up chatting all night, my littlest wolf." He finished his painting, and removed it from the easel, going to set it aside so it could dry. "Do not give your aunts a hard time."

"We'll be good," said Hope. "When you come back, you'll wake the others?"

He assented. "Yes. After we return from our errand, we will wake them. You will be able to meet your Uncles Kol and Elijah, and your Aunts Freya and Rebekah."

"Anita's excited to meet her dad," said Hope. "Do I get more cousins once they wake up?"

"Most likely you will," said Maddy. "But it will take just a bit of time— it won't happen right away."

"I know," said Hope. "Babies take a while to get here. The storks have to travel a lot to bring them."

"Mhm," said Maddy, ignoring the wink Klaus was sending to her. "Something to say, Nik?"

"Not at all, love," he said, getting to his feet, and handing Hope the remaining grapes in his bowl, because he knew how much she liked them. He came to stand beside Maddy, kissing her cheek and tickling her side.

From the couch, Hope perked up at the sound of a car pulling up outside. "Is that them?"

"I think so," said Maddy, just as her phone chimed, a text from Bonnie letting her know they'd arrived. "Yep, it is."

Hope squealed, rushing to put her shoes back on before running outside just as Elena parked the car. The back door opened, and Anita jumped out to greet Hope, who accidentally tackled her to the ground.

Elena and Bonnie emerged from the front two seats. "We're here," said Bonnie, nodding to Klaus and Maddy as they came to stand in the doorway. "The sooner you two head out, the better."