Chapter 23 - Broken Pieces

“What happened to your face?” Henry asked, waking me up.  Emma’s sunglasses had fallen to the floor.  

“Jacklin kicked me,” I mumbled as I tried to wake up fully.  

“What did you do?” Henry asked.

“Why does everyone keep asking me that?  The girl hates me for no reason,” I said.

“Well you did tackle her to the ground, but Jacklin’s always picks on one person each year,” Henry told me.

“Who was last year?” 

“Hope.”

“Hope ended up finishing school at home because of it,” Cole joined in.  

“Who was before that?” I asked.

"Natalie, and before that Ann which is Adam's ex,” Henry said.

“I’m seeing a pattern,” I said.

“That they are all our girlfriends or our sister?” Adam jumped out of the car which was parked in the driveway.

“Yeah,” I said following them out.
“Well we’ve tried to tell administration but Jacklin’s parents are lawyers.  And I have a theory that they blackmail the school,” Henry said.

“That's not why,” Adam said.

“What else could it be?” 

Adam shrugged.  

“Shes needs to go to a mental hospital,” I concluded.  

The next day River and I picked up Mason and Hope and went to the amusement park.  

We ran around the whole park and rode all of the rides about 20 times each.  

“I gotta go bathroom real quick,” I said leaving the group to the bathroom.

When I finish and walked out, they were gone.  It wouldn't have been a big deal if I hadnt made eye contact with a random guy.  He stared at me then I swear on my life that he took a picture of me with his phone.  

I whipped out my phone and called Mason.

“Where are you?”

“We went to the funnel cake place its like around the corner.  Here I’ll wave,” he said.

I saw Mason waving.  He wasn't far at all.

“Whats wrong?” Mason asked as he put his arm around my shoulder.

“I fell like I’m being watched,” I whispered.

He laughed before he realized I was being serious, “Oh you're serious.”

“That guy standing need that tree.”

“Girl there are like twenty tree out here youre going to have to be more specific.”

“The only one with a creepy guy next to it,” I glared at him.  Mason made stressful situations so much more less stressful.  

“Hm, indeed looks creepy, we should go talk to him.”

“What?! No,” I said.

“But-”

“No,” I said forcefully.

“Okay, okay,” he chuckled, “I'm sure he's just a bored dad.”

“Totally,” I breathed.

I didn't see the guy for the rest of our time there.  

~~~

The next Friday River had a football game which the whole family went to.  It was getting colder each day.  We all brought blankets.  We huddled on the bleachers.  Eli ran off with some of his friends.  I feel like I had seen his often.  I guess he was a busy kid.  I would always just see him in glances.  We should go bike riding again, I’ll have to bring that up.